Does a wood bait need to be painted before fishing it?

carwij04

I went to pick up some wood today to make some more glides and the person that gave it to me said if I don't paint over it before I fish it, it will soak in the wood and ruin the bait. Is this true? because I would like to test out my baits before I get them painted. 

You'll have to seal the wood before test swim them. Super glue is good, any water base wood seal from hardware stores are good too. Of you use an oil base wood sealer, you'll run into problems when painting the bait if you paint with water base paints. 

Edited by Rogervang

You should seal it before testing it, as it will absorb water and alter the action. 

like @Rogervang mentioned tons of methods out there, some are less involved and others require more steps. 

i always seal my baits, then test, and if I make modifications or cut/drill the wood I’ll reseal that area. 

the bait below was turned/cut and then sealed before testing. That way I could swap lips and hooks before final choices were made but I knew the bait wasn’t going to change. I put some painters tape on the lip while testing to ensure it stays in place and can swap out on site for different shapes/styles. 

3CD9D2AC-3DFE-466C-BB86-51F5D08EB159.jpeg

I wrote this how to on heat sealing wood baits with epoxy, it’s a longer/messier process but I’ve never had a bait fail from water intrusion, even baits I’ve sealed that that cracked while turning are thoroughly sealed. 
to me it’s worth the extra time/steps/cost and other added benefits 

7 hours ago, chefchris said:

I wrote this how to on heat sealing wood baits with epoxy, it’s a longer/messier process but I’ve never had a bait fail from water intrusion, even baits I’ve sealed that that cracked while turning are thoroughly sealed. 
to me it’s worth the extra time/steps/cost and other added benefits 

just read through it, will give this a try!

8 hours ago, chefchris said:

You should seal it before testing it, as it will absorb water and alter the action. 

like @Rogervang mentioned tons of methods out there, some are less involved and others require more steps. 

i always seal my baits, then test, and if I make modifications or cut/drill the wood I’ll reseal that area. 

the bait below was turned/cut and then sealed before testing. That way I could swap lips and hooks before final choices were made but I knew the bait wasn’t going to change. I put some painters tape on the lip while testing to ensure it stays in place and can swap out on site for different shapes/styles. 

3CD9D2AC-3DFE-466C-BB86-51F5D08EB159.jpeg

also, random question, but what wood do you prefer using for making glides?

1 hour ago, carwij04 said:

also, random question, but what wood do you prefer using for making glides?

Really depends on the final weight/sink rate your going for. 
maple or birch is denser and takes less weight to sink, but is heavy 

pine or cedar is light but takes more lead to sink but you’ll be able to get a slower sink rate than the same bait made out of maple.