Swimbait molds??

168 Rookie

Hey SU,

My buddy and I are thinking of going halfs on a 7" swimbait mold from eBay and I'm just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with these, and what's the general consensus on them? It's an open-pour, solid-bodied Basstrix-style bait (as opposed to a Keitech-type bait) and right now we're just planning on melting down our old traditional plastics (we've got tons of worms, senkos, small Keitech-type swimbaits, etc) to use in it.

I guess my main question is: do these molds produce baits with decent action? Obviously I'm not expecting it to be the widest kicking, hardest thumping, body rollingest bait, but at least enough action to get bit. Link below for those who aren't sure what type of mold I'm talking about.

Thanks SU!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Custom-Silicone-Swimbait-Mold-Soft-Plastic-Bass-Fishing-lure-bait/124077764972?hash=item1ce39c716c:g:gKIAAOSwT6pVirE0

I don't pour soft plastic but I would assume other than actual design,  the action is going to be mostly dictated by the quality of plastic you use. If you pour ish plastic made up of a bunch of different other soft plastics the action is either going to be too stiff or so fragile its just going to fall apart. All soft plastics have a different formula and I would assume mixing different ones doesn't have the greatest outcome in terms of quality.

2 hours ago, bassfiend72 said:

This is a page that you and your friend need to check out. there is going to be a lot of questions if you guys want to make some baits. Really good info here. 

Ah I see, thanks for that.

1 hour ago, MA Frog Man said:

I don't pour soft plastic but I would assume other than actual design,  the action is going to be mostly dictated by the quality of plastic you use. If you pour ish plastic made up of a bunch of different other soft plastics the action is either going to be too stiff or so fragile its just going to fall apart. All soft plastics have a different formula and I would assume mixing different ones doesn't have the greatest outcome in terms of quality.

Right, I hadn't considered this. We've made senkos out of a mold using a mishmash of old baits; I didn't think about the fact that a swimbait is gonna need a more specific type of plastic to make sure it's soft/supple enough to produce sufficient action. Much obliged for the heads up.