Two Hats and a Bass

danthefisherman

Couldn't stand sitting inside anymore and had to get out to make a few casts at a local pond. Saw lots of bluegill bedding and some big bass coming up shallow to smash them, so I switched over to a gill swimmer in a lighter crappie pattern to try mimicking a spawning bluegill. Caught two hats with my bait before this little guy took a swipe at my feet as I was realing it up to make another cast. It caught me totally by surprise so I didn't get a good hookset. The fish came unbuttoned mid-flip so I had to step in the water to go in after her. Sure made my heart pump...not a big fish but I'll take it!

IMG_0536-01.thumb.jpeg.b4dd867d3f54e4d3c6cfcf2f32020cfd.jpeg

IMG_0541-01.thumb.jpeg.d3579cbea3795953261a2e8b3dbe3a6b.jpeg

20200425_194448-01.thumb.jpeg.8ddaba02f7bb546d4db88952b05fe4e7.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, FishDr said:

I think you were supposed to release the hats...they were probably on their beds!:D

I was under the impression that they were invasive species and tossed them...lesson learned for next time :P

That second hat sure hit like a freight train though. I thought for sure I connected with a double digit.