Tips for canoe

Kyle1387

recently acquired a canoe thats gonna be used for smaller ponds/ river floats. Was wondering if anyone has any tips for upgrades/stability. This is my first canoe so any tips are much appreciated!

Apart from putting pontoons on it there isn't much you can do about the stability. I use a 40 thrust transom trolling motor with mine and it scoots right along. I also use an 8 foot marine wire battery extension to keep the battery in the middle/front of the canoe for weight distribution. For me the biggest problem with Canoe fishing is getting blown around. Invest in a 15lb mushroom anchor to keep yourself from drifting. Lastly, a Minn Kota battery box will provide you with a battery life indicator, fuse, and car plug adapter. 

27 minutes ago, bassbass said:

Do NOT tip over.

Funny story. Was up w a couple buddies this weekend and watched 2 kids flip their canoe trying to net a smallie. Water was like 55 luckily we were close and ran over to help but I def have some worries after watching that go down

I now you said you got one already, but if it isn't inherently stable (many canoes are not) I would look into one that was purpose built for sporting endeavors...specifically fishing and hunting.  I'm alluding to the Sportspal canoe made by Meyers Boat Co.  It excels in three areas:  Very lightweight (58lbs for the 14ft model), very spacious (bring ALL your gear + a friends gear), and stable (I stand probably 80% of the time I'm in it).

They have been made since the 60's....so there are a lot out there.  You can regularly find a used one in the $300-$500 range, new they are $1100-$1500 depending on size.  Again,  I know you said you just got a canoe, but if it isn't stable IMO its just not worth the risk.  Not only of falling in, which assuming you can swim or wear a PFD isn't a huge deal, but if you tip it and lose all your gear.....THAT's a loss.  If you interested I did a complete review of the my craft about five years ago.  I recommend them to anyone in the market for a small craft and truly believe they are perfect answer for many people who are fixated only on kayaks or are afraid of canoes because they assume they are all unstable.

-Carl

Edited by KeepinItReelFishing

There are a number of outrigger options out there you could consider.  I think that'd be the route I would go.

I used to fish with a guy who had a canoe.  He was certifiably nuts - he'd stand up and start casting while I was seated and his hooksets were just about enough to roll the boat.  We never did tip over, though there were some "interesting" verbal exchanges when the canoe was a degree or two away from dropping us in the drink - I also always kept my gear in a waterproof floating bag!

Definitely find a way to mount a trolling motor and rig up small anchor. No one want to paddle everywhere or get blown all over the place. Not sure why everyone is so worried about stability. When I was in high school we would fish 3 people standing up out of a pretty regular canoe all the time. If you have decent balance and are not super heavy or tall standing up in a canoe should become easy. Just remember that early spring through the summer the water temp can be in the 60s or lower, so wear a pfd even if the air temperature is warm. I would also try and find a way to rig a simple depth finder if you can afford it!. Waterproof tackle storage is also worth it. If you are fishing with someone else, make sure they sit in the front so they cant keep an eye on how hard you are paddling.

8 hours ago, KeepinItReelFishing said:

I now you said you got one already, but if it isn't inherently stable (many canoes are not) I would look into one that was purpose built for sporting endeavors...specifically fishing and hunting.  I'm alluding to the Sportspal canoe made by Meyers Boat Co.  It excels in three areas:  Very lightweight (58lbs for the 14ft model), very spacious (bring ALL your gear + a friends gear), and stable (I stand probably 80% of the time I'm in it).

They have been made since the 60's....so there are a lot out there.  You can regularly find a used one in the $300-$500 range, new they are $1100-$1500 depending on size.  Again,  I know you said you just got a canoe, but if it isn't stable IMO its just not worth the risk.  Not only of falling in, which assuming you can swim or wear a PFD isn't a huge deal, but if you tip it and lose all your gear.....THAT's a loss.  If you interested I did a complete review of the my craft about five years ago.  I recommend them to anyone in the market for a small craft and truly believe they are perfect answer for many people who are fixated only on kayaks or are afraid of canoes because they assume they are all unstable.

-Carl

I'll second Carl's recommendation of a Sportspal.  There are actually two different manufacturers of these things that use the Sportspal logo.  Meyers makes them in the US and uses a thicker gauge aluminum (although still very light).  Radisson makes them in Canada with thinner aluminum which makes them even lighter in weight.  The models are similar but not exact.  I got a deal on a used Radisson 12 footer that is the wide transom/square stern model.  The weight is just under 50 pounds so its only about 40% the weight of my 12' jonboat.  I was concerned over the thinner aluminum of the Radisson, but I've had it now for a few years with zero issues. I'm sure the Meyers brand is equally good.

Its very stable; I run a 40 ft-lb electric on the back and stand up while fishing without it ever feeling tippy.  Its great solo- it gets a bit cramped with 2 people.  The roomier jonboat is my choice when I have a place that is easy to launch or when I have a buddy with me.  But the  Sportspal is easily my choice when I'm fishing solo and have to carry the boat a ways to the water.  It is night and day difference in stability versus a standard canoe.

9 hours ago, KeepinItReelFishing said:

-Carl

I actually watched this video first thing when I got back w it. I was given it by a friend so I'm most likely gonna stay with it. But I was thinking about adding the foam ridges to the side, that or a removable catamaran 

I also own a 14' Sportspal they are great canoes, bought mine used 5 years ago for $350, its a 1977. These are very stable canoes you can stand up all day. That being said as long as you're not doing anything too crazy in your canoe you won't flip.  Get a small trolling motor, put the battery in the front and you're ready to go! Have fun with your new boat!

The easiest thing my OLD man did for us growing up...probably super cheap now for stability.

He took 2 old kids water skis and rigged up some pvc. we fished a 14' canoe with 2 kids and my dad in it and never tipped it. 

PVC is cheap, and an old pair of water skis cant be expensive. drill holes in the skis that you can run the pvc through to hold the ski. simple and cheap!