Megadog Topwater Eater

chefchris

Finally stuck a solid fish this season, between covid having us working 6-7 day weeks and limited time off its been a slowwwwwww season for me. 

Pretty funny story about this bait and fish, saturday late afternoon we headed out on my buddies tracker, find a nice wind blown cove, im telling him why i picked this color bait, bright top so i can see it, the clear wonderbread sides, the bright orange belly all cause i have confidence in all these colors, all my confidence colors in fresh and salt so i can throw it to stripers too. 

mb1.thumb.jpg.1543931effbff770a630682f96e10e74.jpg

he replied "so it checked all the boxes?" 

me "yup now just needs to stick a fish" 

3 seconds later, this fish t bones and explodes out of the water, set the hook, grind it in, buddy nets it, were having a good time just laughing about the timing of the whole thing. 

mb2.thumb.jpg.67f6ca32e878fede95ac0de0a1a43bb0.jpgmb3.thumb.jpg.bcff88688b6cad7528e0c6a3a2506061.jpg

he gets a bunch of pics while im unhooking it, we start talking about the weight, scale says 4.15...............................again. buts thats another post in the main forum ill make. we just start cracking up that its not a 5. oh well. 

scale.thumb.jpg.6d9f5106cb0fdd5e7faa8a3fa5a092fc.jpg

this was the first fish on the ldc xxh, first fish on the megadog and first fish on the new daiwa lexa 300 i got in that morning. 

mb4.thumb.png.b6e80bd387ba5f7f3cdd43491ad3fb5d.png

love that topwater explosion. 

had 3 other fish throughout the night, all dinks 2 on the toxic whippersnapper 2.0 and 1 on the 9" white slammer 

First cast jinx in effect.  I just watched a utube vid of a cape canal 46 lb striper on a white body with green stripe sebile swimmer, not a pattern I would own. Sometimes lures catch fish some catch fishermen, but yours catches kids haha (with all of those fun colors). You must be a kid at heart.

Edited by bigpoppabass

7 hours ago, Kyle1387 said:

Nice fish. Was thinking of grabbing one for the shad bite. How's the walk on it? Easy like a frog walk or more of a long rod twitch to get it to go?

you can walk it just with the reel crank, the lexa is 6.3:1, and one twitch with the rod to get it moving and then just handle cranks, im sure the slower action rod helps, but you can work it with or without the rod being pulled down, you can work it more aggresively and it will splash and throw some water or anything in between and get a nice slower glide, the bait actually worked way easier than i thought it would 

10 hours ago, bigpoppabass said:

First cast jinx in effect.  I just watched a utube vid of a cape canal 46 lb striper on a white body with green stripe sebile swimmer, not a pattern I would own. Sometimes lures catch fish some catch fishermen, but yours catches kids haha (with all of those fun colors). You must be a kid at heart.

wasnt the first cast of the day, and i also dont believe in that anymore or passing a skunk on the way to spot. 

that color sebile is the must have color for the canal, absolutely slays everywhere but a necessary bait color for the ditch 

have to stay young somehow! 

25 minutes ago, bassbass said:

So so so close to 5...still cant complain about that size fish for RI. 

yup, haven't broken 5 since 2014, on my first swimbait fish at 5.8, I've gotten fish over 5 on frogs and jerkbaits but not on a swimbait