Toxic Mink Clones

chefchris

These look great! I just got into the bait making hobby, what do you mean by "epoxy heat sealed"? I've been having trouble finding a sealer compatible w/ epoxy, I've tried Deft lacquer and Minwax sanding sealer, both of which my epoxy(Crystal Clear brand) wouldn't fully coat and peeled off. I just picked up some alumi-uv, hoping to have better results.

@TaylorHickman

When i seal my wooden baits i "epoxy heat seal them" I wrote a full how to, link below. 

if youre having epoxy bonding issues the sealer probably isnt cured fully, moisture issues, sanding issues, lots of variables 

Take a look at that and message me if you want/have questions glad to help you out if I can 

16 hours ago, chefchris said:

@TaylorHickman

When i seal my wooden baits i "epoxy heat seal them" I wrote a full how to, link below. 

if youre having epoxy bonding issues the sealer probably isnt cured fully, moisture issues, sanding issues, lots of variables 

Take a look at that and message me if you want/have questions glad to help you out if I can 

Thanks for the detailed write up, I'll have to give it a try.  I imagine that would be just as effective for baits as the stabilizing method in a vacuum chamber. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/6/2020 at 6:20 PM, chefchris said:

Turned two of these a couple weeks back and finished the up this weekend. these are turned based off the toxic mink (which has been putting in work lately) these will crankdown super easy due to the nature of the wood/weight. I will never sell these fyi, ones going to Ceasar and im fishing the other. 

made from laminated stained birch (i buy the blanks from cousineau wood products) ton of color options, then turn them on the lathe. wood is heavy/dense but turns fairly easy with light passes.

epoxy heat sealed (double dipped), sanded, assembled then topcoat epoxy. gold pearl eyes, zoom magnum trick tail. 

added some new automotive grade flake/pearls into the epoxy. 

ill get some pics tomorrow outside. 

mink1.jpg

mink2.jpg

mink3.jpg

mink4.jpg

Those look sweet man! Quick question, what do you use for bill material? And how thick is the material?

12 minutes ago, Matthewn7 said:

Those look sweet man! Quick question, what do you use for bill material? And how thick is the material?

Lexan lips from lure parts online 

they come in different thicknesses 

thanks man. Need to get back to building 

Just now, chefchris said:

Lexan lips from lure parts online 

they come in different thicknesses 

thanks man. Need to get back to building 

Got it! Thanks. I've never made a swimbait with a bill so I'm going to try that next.

• 2 weeks later...