Another Mag Shine Eater

168 Rookie

Took a trip to the in-laws in central Michigan and talked my uncle in-law into taking me out on his 14ft Jon. Got this one to follow the Mag in and hit it right at the boat after a couple figure eights. 21" and 3.2lbs, it has the head of a 5 but the body of a 2 ha.

Screenshot_20200720-122721.png

20200720_105921.jpg

Thanks all--question: is it possible some bass are still spawning in central Michigan? This was the only mature one I caught (a few 8-10" dinks on panfish bait), but I swear it looked spawned out and haggard. There aren't bass still spawning in mid-July are there??

6 minutes ago, Hmoob said:

They might be, Matt Allen just posted a couple days ago that he was on Lake Michigan and said they was still spawning!!!!  He was catching Pre spawn smallies!!!! 

Huh, that's interesting. Thanks for that!

Yeah man, first time it's ever happened for me. When he got to the boat I figure 8'd but I thought I lost him cuz he turned away. Then he turned back, watched the figure 8 for maybe two turns, and came up and mouthed it. It was an awesome thing to see in person. 

On 7/25/2020 at 7:46 AM, 168 Rookie said:

Yeah man, first time it's ever happened for me. When he got to the boat I figure 8'd but I thought I lost him cuz he turned away. Then he turned back, watched the figure 8 for maybe two turns, and came up and mouthed it. It was an awesome thing to see in person. 

That's so cool man! Like @GreenPig said, hasn't worked for me either when actually targeting bass. Fishing Lake Webster in Indiana about 10yrs ago for musky and caught one small musky and 3 bass about 3lbs each doing figure 8s. It was crazy awesome and I was hooked (even tho water vis was terrible and couldn't see all the action, the bites were vicious). Been trying it off and on since with absolutely zero success even with seemingly interested followers. Eh, you just keep on keepin' on Brother. Nice Work!