Daiwa Ryoga 2018 review

Vega

Hoping to get some guidance for my next reel purchase. I was going to pull the trigger on a Shimano Calcutta Conquest 201 DC but then I saw the 2018 Daiwa Ryoga 1520 and I really like the look of the reel. I already own a couple Shimano Conquests but have never owned or fished a Daiwa, so I am very interested in the Ryoga.

Dug around online and did research on it and it seems that there are a few issues users have had with the reel, the plastic ring piece on side plate breaking, gap between the side plate and main frame, also a rocking side plate. I just got the overall impression that it is not as reliable as my Calcutta's.

I am curious if anyone owns one and can speak on these issues with the 2018 Ryoga. Do you guys find these issues to be prevelant on these reels?? Any other problems to take into consideration? Or are they just as trusty and reliable as my Conquests??

Thanks for the help! 

I’ve got a 2002 Conquest 200, a 2015 conquest 300, a 2018 conquest 300, and a 2018/2019 Ryoga 1520. zero issues with any of them and I like them all.

The conquests now come with better handles than the Ryoga (opinion), and they have stronger drag if you’re thinking heavy application, and hold more line depending on what size you get. 

the Ryoga on the other hand is the smoothest reel I own, and for anything up to 15/20lb test leader it’s my favorite reel. Pure butter, and in my opinion more refined than the conquest, just perhaps not as much brute strength. Buy with confidence on any of them id say, but if you try a Ryoga and aren’t satisfied you either got a rare lemon or got it for the wrong application. I will be buying another for sure. 

I agree it’s the smoothest I own and I got a lot of reels. Worth the money. I bought 1520 to gap my OG 1016 and 2020 which are top shelf in their own right. I’ve been pleased, however this new platform doesn’t offer the same sheer ability. Not talking night and day but noticeable to benefit of adverse condition such as high wind. It sacrifices distance for control. Side by side undeniable, though had it not been mentioned most probably wouldn’t know. So in effect it is either good or bad depending how you look at it. Otherwise nothing to worry about outside listed spool capacity is B-S. I measured to the inch, not some weak line counter, and filled 93yds of .330 on 1520 before I thought no more. Capacity is not what it claims. By description new 1520 should hold same as old 2020. It does not. I filled side by side and it was off 5-10yds or so. As mentioned above, 20lb is as big as you dare. If you throw larger then get the 2020 instead. You’ll be happy you did.