Don't gotem

Kyle1387

Decided to try to leave the 250 today. Throwing it on an 8ft Daiwa xxh and 20 lb assassin. Pull up to the point. Fire out,  20 yards from the boat get shmoked. Set, fish comes up, shakes once, 250 flies back at my face. Thing was definitely 8+. No idea how it straightened the 2/0 st36. Must be bad wire?  Felt like throwing up right after. Any tips would be extremely useful

20200724_114401.jpg

Yup they bend, your hook is not that bad and dont rhink that was the cause of the lost fish, could have just throw the bait. Many factors play into it, moat likely the fish jist won this battle.......but you know where she is, give it some time and go back and get her.

The force of the fish and you setting and cranking creates an ovel hole (briad is worse) where the hook is, especially when there is only one treble in the fish, both trebles would be better. So when the fish comes up out of the water, that large baits shacks right out of the oversized hole. 

Locked drag, may or may not be the best thing. I think locked drags may cause a larger hole and pulled hooks on some lost fish. When I lived up north that drags where locked and had no issues. Down here with fish larger then say 9lbs and up, locked drags may have had something to due with using a couple of monster bass.

I set my drags almost locked and pay attantion to the structure I am fishing and that will dictate what and how I fight the fish.

Yes it sucks and you will not sleep a couple of days, but get back out there and get her.

@bassbass

I've got plenty of fish up to 6 on 2/0 36s so I'm assuming he just got leverage or something. I immediately dropped to a little less than full drag but I typically run full drag braid to mono and have no problems with that hook. 

Also wondering as this is the first fish I've seen and missed on a glide. Do they tend to hit again a few days/weeks later?  I didn't fight that long so I'm hoping she just thought it was a spine or something in her. Not a glide bait fisherman. Pressuring myself to learn them this summer 

Hopefully next week I'll get two trebles in her!

Edited by Kyle1387
Spelling

I have bent 36 s on braid and mono, locked and not locked drags. So I think it just depends on how the fish fights.

If you changed your drag setting right after the fish hit, that could have given her some slack. Also if you seen the fish hit you could have set to early.

More then likely the fish won and you did no wrong.

I cant say all fish will hit again and when, but I would give it a minimum of 2 to 3 days and fish that area over and over again, fishing at different angles with different baits and there is a chance we will see you in the PB section soon.

23 hours ago, Kyle1387 said:

Decided to try to leave the 250 today. Throwing it on an 8ft Daiwa xxh and 20 lb assassin. Pull up to the point. Fire out,  20 yards from the boat get shmoked. Set, fish comes up, shakes once, 250 flies back at my face. Thing was definitely 8+. No idea how it straightened the 2/0 st36. Must be bad wire?  Felt like throwing up right after. Any tips would be extremely useful

20200724_114401.jpg

Sucks right

I bend out st36s basically every time I use them. Bent one out today on a rat. I basically don’t fish anything lighter than a 41 anymore. Also fishing braid is gonna cause more of that. A short leader isn’t absorbing much. Stretch is your friend with hard baits. If that rod doesn’t double as a soft bait rod, I’d swap to flouro or mono personally

7 hours ago, Mossypumpkin said:

I bend out st36s basically every time I use them. Bent one out today on a rat. I basically don’t fish anything lighter than a 41 anymore. Also fishing braid is gonna cause more of that. A short leader isn’t absorbing much. Stretch is your friend with hard baits. If that rod doesn’t double as a soft bait rod, I’d swap to flouro or mono personally

Thats what I was confused about as I was throwing straight flouro. I cant imagine I bent hooks because of the rod as I really didn't swing hard or even fight him. Hoping that as I continue to throw it the rod will break in as its a cheaper one but we'll see

1 minute ago, Kyle1387 said:

Thats what I was confused about as I was throwing straight flouro. I cant imagine I bent hooks because of the rod as I really didn't swing hard or even fight him. Hoping that as I continue to throw it the rod will break in as its a cheaper one but we'll see

Ya sometimes it just happens.