Auto/marine clear coat and airbrush painting tutorial and guidance

Swimbaitbox

Hey y’all.

I’ve designed what I believe is an amazing lipless wake and crank.

I need help learning to paint these and once I’ve painted them, learning the whole clear coat world is wild. Right now I’m using an iwata eclipse with a smart jet compressor. If I need a new gun and other hardware for spraying clear coats I can get them. But I need more guidance on getting a lot better at the painting aspect of this. All help is welcome. Once I can get the paint down I’ll be posting my whole build thread from start to finish and including swim vids and all. 

Thank you 

In terms of purely painting, I recently stumbled onto the Jekyll Baits youtube channel and would recommend checking it out.  I'm still a beginner and the experienced folks here may have a more nuanced assessment of her work, but I think she does a nice job articulating the thought process of how to dissect a reference image and build up colors, add details, etc.  She has a bunch of videos painting various Mike Bucca baits, a couple Klash 9's, and I want to say a Big Game Custom gill?  Anyway, worth clicking around a bit and I think you'll get something out of it.  Also would recommend Solar Baits videos, he makes some sharp looking swimbaits and has some good painting tutorials as well.

Good luck!

KBS you can get away with 2 coats dipping, devcon 2 ton you can get away with one coat. best if used on a lure turner.

Remember top coats are like women everyone is looking for their taste, your gonna have to get experience with a few top coats to figure out what you want.

READ INSTRUCTIONS FOR ANY TOP COAT YOU'RE USING!

• 1 month later...

Most 2k clears are recommended to be sprayed with a 1.2 and up needle size. A normal airbrush will not atomize the paint correctly. Devilbliss, Iwata, Sagola, and Sata all make good quality mini guns that will do a good job. The compressor you have only puts out .58 cfm. Spray guns consume alot more air than an airbrush, check the specs of whatever gun you choose but most need around at least 3-4 cfm so you will need a compressor and filter setup that can handle the amount of air needed. Your best bet would probably be to ask around at a local bodyshop supply to see what they recommend and look at some autobody forums to see what kind of setups people are using. 

It is also very important to have a proper fume extraction and ppe because the fumes can be explosive and the paint can crystalize in your lungs.