New SU tourney rules

Mossypumpkin

I think Siemantel’s BBZ junior championship had the rules system dialed. Never had any interest in the SBU monthly since there’s no way you can compete unless you’re in a select few big bass regions.

Not that I catch any decent size bass that are photo worthy (yet) but those struggling to take pics in kayaks can buy cheap clip on fish eye lenses for their phones that should help capture the whole fish and board without having to stretch.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fisheye+lens+for+phone&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

On 10/31/2020 at 11:57 AM, Jon P said:

I think Siemantel’s BBZ junior championship had the rules system dialed. Never had any interest in the SBU monthly since there’s no way you can compete unless you’re in a select few big bass regions.

Not true. The handicap system exists for this exact reason.

As for the original post concerning the rule changes, I can definitely see how it could be harder to do these things on a kayak rather than from a boat. But, everything is harder from a kayak than it is from a boat. Boat guys have nearly every advantage over the guys on kayaks or guys on the bank. Its just the way it is and there probably isn't anything we can fairly do about that.

I'm not speaking from inexperience. I fished from a float tube for about 2 years and although it was harder, I was still able to get to the bank, keep the fish wet, snap a few pics and videos, get a weight and release the fish. Its not impossible. For anyone who is afraid that they'll kill the fish by having it out of the water for 30-60 seconds I would just say don't do it. I can just about guarantee you that the fish will be fine but just don't do it if you're not comfortable with it. Measuring fish from a kayak is not a big deal. All of the kayak tourneys are based on inches of fish so everyone has to carry a board, measure, and take a picture. Go to YouTube and watch Greg Blanchard's videos. Dude only fishes from a kayak. He doesn't fish a lot of swimbaits but he catches, measures, weighs (if they're big) and releases every fish while getting it all on video. It can be done.

The statement that "guys will still cheat if they really want to" is absolutely true. But, that will always be true. That is true in REAL boat tournaments and it happens sometimes. But, the point is to make it harder to cheat and these rules will definitely make it very hard to cheat. Rules, by their nature, put restrictions on things and increase difficulty but they are put in place to help keep things fair. Also, for the guys saying that you could catch a fish on a conventional bait and just hang a swimbait in its mouth, I would take that guy on every month and beat him nearly every month as well. I thought the whole idea about using swimbaits was that you get bigger fish with them? I guess, to me, if a guy is dedicated to using conventional baits and trying to beat other guys with swimbaits, he's putting himself at a disadvantage and isn't generally going to be a threat in the tourneys. 

All this to say, I agree. I really do. It is dumb that these rules are needed. They shouldn't be. But the fact is that guys have been caught cheating now. Its not about "what if?", it's about "what now?". I personally would not feel as good about the tourneys and probably wouldn't have even entered if I knew guys were probably cheating and nothing was done about it. 

Hopefully this isn't taken the wrong way. I'm with all you guys, this shouldn't be needed. I just understand why they are doing it.

Good luck to all you guys in the tourneys!