GHST800H 8' 1-6oz Mod Fast

ddow229

Hey yawl,

Looking at buying a new rod over the winter to more effectively throw big baits. I am using a BPS Graphite that is rated to 2 ounces, but realistically throws 3-3.5 without a big issue. I have a buddy who loves the F% brand but he is also sponsored by them, so while I value his opinion, I almost want others. Does anyone throw the F5 Ghost Code DHST 800H 8' rod? It is rated 1-6, which is where all of my big baits fall. I like the fact they are a smaller production line. I like to shop with smaller businesses whenever I can. 

Anyway, the swims I throw are mostly in the 2-5 ounce range, no more than 9", mostly treble hooked hard bodies. I want to throw them more next year but I really need a good rod to do that. I wouldn't mind also hearing about custom builders who make good stuff as well. 

Thanks!

dave

• 2 weeks later...

I’m willing to bet they’re good rods. I know plenty of folks use various F5 models on here. I use the Blacklist 8” 1-6oz MF rod. It’s great! And yes, it will throw a 6oz bait. Brad was also very cool to to deal with. I’d suggest contacting him for help if you’re seriously interested. 

I know nothing of f5 rods, I have never used them or even seen them.

What I will say is stainless steel guide rings are only available on the cheapest of cheap rods, and are in no way superior. Marketing them as protection from "chipped" guides is kind of odd. How many guides have you needed replaced for a chipped ring in your life?

It's been one for me, and it was on my kids rod after he shoved the tip into a concrete wall. It took 10 minutes and $5 to replace the guide.

• 3 months later...