First hook up with a hard bait.

rwp

Finally connected! (long winded version)

I had a big fish follow the other day, which I thought was a drum, now I am pretty sure it was a striper.

I fish a small retention pond really often. It's no more than 100 yards across the widest spot and probably 6-8 feet deep depending on the tide. It's 20 feet from the parking lot, and a playground. Some people will fish it with their kids for croaker, a lot of people throw nets for bait fish. I catch comments almost every time I am there about how I am wasting my time fishing that spot.

I've thrown a lot of soft swimbaits in there, usually 4-5" keitechs, and I have caught a ton of puppy drum, most around 12", two were slot size, one of which we kept. We have also caught 8-12" white perch, and one that was 14".

The drum we kept was actually caught on a spinner bait, and was 4.5lbs, that was earlier this summer.

Now, I have just started fishing hard baits. I was using my 9' Megabass ICBM with Tranx 400. 80lb sufix 832 in yellow, 60lb mono leader, 8" savage gear 4 play 2.0 in sexy bait fish color.

The weather was awful. Hurricane Zeta just passed though. It was cloudy, and cold. It was 85 last night and 55 this morning. 30+ mph winds. In the past, days like this have worked well for me, so I went for it.

Fished for about 30 minutes around the pond and headed out to the bay. It was too windy to even cast out there so I headed back to the pond to make a few casts. I was just about to call it quits and decide to plunk one in next to a concrete retaining wall. The water is only about 4 feet deep there, and its no more than 20 feet from where I was standing. I let the bait sink for a few seconds, and gave 2 gentle twitches and got NAILED. The fish pretty much set the hook itself. I run my drag pretty much maxed out, probably 15 lbs. The rod and reel kept it pinned without issue and I horsed it in though the reeds and brush up onto shore.

Perfect slot size fish at 8lbs 15.4oz with a completely empty stomach. I'm calling it 9lbs.

image.png.6731db85c79293f474f154f6fddaf78b.png

image.png.fa63f90d3e16b2c56cdcd16ab90b5c87.png

image.png.c9300e5cd6724dc7370b481d791bd864.png

Edited by rwp