River pike on the 8" magdraft

CG_Fishes

Been grinding hard for pike this past month. After going out just about everyday I finally caught one. Even though this is a small pike it made all of the lost baits, missed bites and frozen hands worth it. Hopefully I can find a 30+" next

20201110_094154.jpg

VideoCapture_20201110-100939.jpg

20201110_093718.jpg

VideoCapture_20201110-100955.jpg

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JHaul6 said:

Awesome dude i love river pike. If the water ever gets muddy, try something orange ;)

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely try that. I just got my first bite since this one 2 days ago in 28° air temps right before a snowstorm, unfortunately she missed the hook. That's the coldest conditions I've ever fished in, everything was freezing, my guides, my reel, my gloves to my hands. It was almost worth it, although at this point just getting a bite is a major victory

20201216_142839.jpg

1 minute ago, CG_Fishes said:

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely try that. I just got my first bite since this one 2 days ago in 28° air temps right before a snowstorm, unfortunately she missed the hook. That's the coldest conditions I've ever fished in, everything was freezing, my guides, my reel, my gloves to my hands. It was almost worth it, although at this point just getting a bite is a major victory

20201216_142839.jpgAwesome  man embrace the grind! A weighless softbait may help too, let it fall real slow give a little twitch and repeat got me some. Best of luck

Just now, JHaul6 said:
Just now, CG_Fishes said:

Awesome  man embrace the grind! A weighless softbait may help too, let it fall real slow give a little twitch and repeat got me some. Best of luck

thanks man, I will definitely have to try that as well, although I think my season is close to over, the river is gonna be frozen over soon, especially after the 3ft of snow that just got dumped on us

River pike are a blast - I had a hot spot in SW Colorado that regularly produced 24 - 30" fish but then they changed the access rules.  Until that happened, the best bait, regardless of season, was a 7" single-joint Slammer.  I've taken a number of pike on that bait (in both perch and trout colors), and I've also taken them on soft swimbaits like Hudds and Rising Sons.  Something that suspends or almost suspends like a jerkbait might work really well - maybe an S-Waver.

1 hour ago, FishDr said:

River pike are a blast - I had a hot spot in SW Colorado that regularly produced 24 - 30" fish but then they changed the access rules.  Until that happened, the best bait, regardless of season, was a 7" single-joint Slammer.  I've taken a number of pike on that bait (in both perch and trout colors), and I've also taken them on soft swimbaits like Hudds and Rising Sons.  Something that suspends or almost suspends like a jerkbait might work really well - maybe an S-Waver.

Yeah man, I really enjoy targetting them in the cold. The problem that I deal with is that this spot is up to 25' deep in some areas but 3' deep in others, so it's hard to get a suspending bait to the fish but a fast sinker can get snagged if a cast is 5' off. Just finding the pike has been my biggest problem, there are very few access points on this river and even fewer pike/musky. It's just about getting the bait in front of the fish, so far this magdraft has been my best producer with 2 bites, as bad as that sounds

20 hours ago, CG_Fishes said:

Yeah man, I really enjoy targetting them in the cold. The problem that I deal with is that this spot is up to 25' deep in some areas but 3' deep in others, so it's hard to get a suspending bait to the fish but a fast sinker can get snagged if a cast is 5' off. Just finding the pike has been my biggest problem, there are very few access points on this river and even fewer pike/musky. It's just about getting the bait in front of the fish, so far this magdraft has been my best producer with 2 bites, as bad as that sounds

I totally get it - rivers can have really varied terrain.  I've been considering using some of the European-style swimbait rigging where they take a soft plastic bait that is rigged on one or more hooks and then clip weights of various sizes onto the nose of the bait to rapidly adjust the sink rate.

Just now, FishDr said:

I totally get it - rivers can have really varied terrain.  I've been considering using some of the European-style swimbait rigging where they take a soft plastic bait that is rigged on one or more hooks and then clip weights of various sizes onto the nose of the bait to rapidly adjust the sink rate.

Yeah, this spot is a giant pool underneath a "waterfall" more like glorified rapids. I have been considering doing the same thing, it seems great for shallow water