Glide baits in stained/dirty water

JimmyTheGreek815

So I fish this pond that gets pretty stained up this time of year. I've been throwing things like s wavers and the 250 and I've only got a few follows from small pickerel. Do you guys ever throw glides in muddy water? Or is it more of a clear water thing? 

About 18” of visibility seems to be the minimum for getting bit for me with a glide. 

Generally speaking I look to other tools in those conditions. Topwaters or wakes. Swimmers that push water. I don’t throw crankdowns much but they’d probably be great in dirty conditions and colder water now. 

Baits that are not primarily visual and moves water would be probably be better suited.

I have little confidence in dirty water to begin with. But I generally opt for a waking bait or a big jig in dirty water. Glides seem to be most effective when fish can see them from a distance.

You'll get bit eventually, but I much prefer throwing a crankdown or some other bait that moves more water and can be found easier than a glide in murky water. To me, glides are more of a visual type bait. The clearer the water the more I will lean towards glides. The murkier the water the more I will lean towards crankdowns or other lipped baits.

• 2 weeks later...

Short answer, yes I do. Long answer, it’s not that simple. In dirty water especially, I’ve found it’s extremely important to be pulling your glide as close as possible to the dock, tree, grass etc. etc. that the fish are positioned on. I’ve had great success doing it, but it’s a different approach than clear water. I’ve had amazing days in chocolate milk water color, just gotta know where to throw it.

I fish lots of murky water .5 - 3 ft vis and the key for me if I’m going to fish a glide is  an ABS bait. Swaver 200, Gancraft jc, Islide. They make a surprising amount of noise underwater. I don’t fish 250s for that reason it’s quite. Also a multi joint and big soft bait is a great option and one of my dirty water confidence baits. wcz, ragos, etc.

side note, no one seems to fish the nude black and midnight etc Deps colors but I think this is an application where they would get way more bites and attention than a bb