Fishing rats in cold water.

JoeyNap

Maybe I’m just stubborn but I’m having a hard time putting down my rats. Is anyone else still throwing them? How are you fishing them in colder water? I mainly fish ponds which are connected to the San Joaquin river there are plenty of muskrats in the area and I know for a fact that they do not hibernate in winter. 

Seems like it always can work to a degree. It’s just a matter of whether it’s a pattern or situational.

Any big predator hunting shallow is going to at least think about a rat year round. There are always furry critters running around the waters edge. There are just more big fishy critters related shallow and more rodents active during the warmer times. 

It’s not a tool I reach for first in the cold, but the rats aren’t going into storage until May either.

Edited by browniez

3 hours ago, urbanhick said:

Profile pic fish was caught on cranking down a cl8 baby possum crank down in 45 degree water, my best fish of the year at 7 lbs even.

7.00 baby possum.jpg

Wow! Nice fish. I don’t have a baby possum but I do have a toxic mink. Looks like i need to start cranking that thing down!