SUB feedback

SU Crew4

with the recent changes to the SUB, there has obviously been a decrease in entries. As a community, we want to make it as inclusive and simple as possible; however, we also want to prevent cheating. What changes can we make to the SUB to accomplish all of this?

Honestly,  I haven't played in a long time. For me, I really enjoy the way the Pizz Whizz format is. Best weight of 3 fish.

I do feel some of the state weight offsets could be adjusted. 

I may not be the right person to comment though, since I haven't actually  went into that forum section in a long time. 

Maybe omit the measuring board rule?

Especially if video of scale taring and weighing is required, I personally feel like photographing your fish on a measure board is an extra unnecessary step. I made my own measure board for the SU tourneys (not sure if that's allowed or not), and it can be a big hassle to try getting even smaller fish to stay put on the thing during picture time. Just a thought from a guy who has never submitted a contending fish :cry:

I know it was discussed previously and Dan mentioned it but the measuring board is a issue for me.  I'm in a yak and hate trying to carry and use a board in the first place.  I have a roll up but it's not easy to get to, and layout in the yak.  Plus I don't like to handle a fish out of water any longer than is absolutely necessary.  Dealing with the measuring board just adds more stress to the fish in my opinion. 

I thought about entering the fish I caught Saturday in the tourney, but I didn't think it was big enough to win and I wasn't going to go through that effort.  

Now when I get a really large fish in the yak I will get measurements on the board.  If that happens to be in the tournament period, I'll enter but it won't be for a fish under 10-11 lbs. 

I get why the SU has that requirement and I think you will probably need to keep it in order to offset the risk of cheating.  Maybe have that requirement for the Battle when there is a much bigger prize on the line and not required on the monthly? 

Edited by swimbaitrookie
Added

Nothing ever will really stop someone from cheating who wants to cheat in fishing. Will they get caught someday, possibly?  I really like the percentage of the state record thing I did on SBN, I never mentioned it or suggested it here because, well it was SBN. I feel the format of percentage of state record really levels the playing field for every state other than a couple that have freak records. I think it is MA that has a giant record that no one thinks is real. This type of format could also bring in our brother SB anglers in Japan. I think it could be really fun to be competing against anglers in Japan that are just as dedicated as US anglers. I feel this is a level playing field that will encourage participation. The percentage is really simple, SU makes a speed sheet and it calculates the state records.

Here is the kicker of this format, the most complaints I had about this format was CA.  The CA guys did not like 80 percent of one state could only 8 pounds and the 80 percent of CA would be like 16 pounds. They felt that simply, a 16 pound fish {80 percent CA} was more important of a catch than another states percentage. I had one very accomplished well known SB angler suggest our MN record is what it is because more than likely in MN and other states "anglers don't really know how to bass fish as well as the guys in CA" :lol:

Just like now in the SU contest, anglers would need picture with fish, fish on scale with code and I think this is where things could get tightened up a bit for the contest. Length should be done on and  official SU measuring board,  let's say SU and WCZ works together to make this board, girth also needs to be done on an official measure tape supplied with the purchase of the "official SU board" The winner of each month gets the normal monthly prizes, but also gets a sticker, that becomes a bragging right  that stays on the board forever. All could be pains in the butt, but heck,  nothing in life is simple. 

The last part of the "more participation" aspect of this. SU really needs to do a better job IMO of making the "Battle area" more user friendly. Im sure if you have participated in the "Battles" in the past you have learned how to navigate everything. As a user of this board, I have long ago stop trying to "follow" the monthly contest because to me it is a hot mess to follow. If it is hard to just "follow" the Battles, it simply does not encourage participation. 

Edited by David Cindrich

40 minutes ago, David Cindrich said:

Nothing ever will really stop someone from cheating who wants to cheat in fishing. Will they get caught someday, possibly?  I really like the percentage of the state record thing I did on SBN, I never mentioned it or suggested it here because, well it was SBN. I feel the format of percentage of state record really levels the playing field for every state other than a couple that have freak records. I think it is MA that has a giant record that no one thinks is real.

Yea it's like 15lbs supposedly through the ice waaaaaay back. To my knowledge no other teener has ever been caught and usually the biggest fish every year is between 9 and 10lbs. 

I really don't think there is any way possible to compete from state to state fairly, I have had the opportunity to fish many states Washington, California, Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, and Florida.... I have caught fish in all of them but some states waters just produce a lot of quality fish and others don't. Too many factors to calculate!!

With that being said this is supposed to be fun with some competition!!

Just get out and fish and if you want to compete then do so.

If you want more participation, you need to encourage first fish, big fish of the day and overall winner.   

1 minute ago, azsouth said:

IWith that being said this is supposed to be fun with some competition!!

Just get out and fish and if you want to compete then do so.

If you want more participation, you need to encourage first fish, big fish of the day and overall winner.   

^^^^THIS^^^^

Whatever it is, it’s gotta be plausible for shore and kayak anglers to be able to do in a reasonable amount of time, while potentially doing things in the dark under a headlamp. There’s no cash prize or amount of bragging rights big enough for me to keep a trophy fish out of water for an excessive amount of time. Setting up a light, phone, getting pics, then video of weighing, then measuring board....it’s far too much time. And guys have already been caught modifying their measuring boards. You can’t beat cheaters. Taking care of the fish is #1 in my book. Without the fish, there’s no SU...

After the buffoonery of the 2 guys that cheated I think there has to be a video of the fish on the scale. To me, it’s not that hard to lean my phone up to a rock and do a quick video of the weight and then take a pic on the board. I get how it could be a pain on a kayak, that’s a totally different animal. Then again, to me it is worth it to have proper documentation of a trophy fish. Plenty of guys out there do it, and pretty much all kayak tournaments require photos on a bump board. 

I personally think the new rules are great. They did cost me a win last month because I could have easily posted the pictures of my fish on the scale, but didn’t have enough service to post a video. That being said, I would rather have tight rules and know who won fairly than deal with people questioning fish and how big they are. 

1 minute ago, Csweitzer said:

I personally think the new rules are great. They did cost me a win last month because I could have easily posted the pictures of my fish on the scale, but didn’t have enough service to post a video. That being said, I would rather have tight rules and know who won fairly than deal with people questioning fish and how big they are. 

I agree. I think those 2 guys kind of set the bar to require video. 

3 hours ago, Phiderman said:

.....and pretty much all kayak tournaments require photos on a bump board. 

True, but I don't see many 7lb + fish being caught in yak tournaments.  Getting a bump board photo of a16" fish is a lot easier than a 20+