Dobyns 807 XP

Chazzy

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 3:43 AM, Mossypumpkin said:

That’s really pushing it. At that point, if they’re top hook baits, I’d go 867 maybe. Or 908, especially if they’re weedless baits

i was thinking about the 908. only bummer is that its way too long and not 2 piece

4 hours ago, Chazzy said:

i was thinking about the 908. only bummer is that its way too long and not 2 piece

If it matters, it’s only 8’10” and I can fit it in my car easy enough. When you think about it, it’s only 10” longer than the average swimbait rod. It’s hella versatile. 5-13oz realistically. And actually has more flex than you’d think. Not a pool cue and tosses a mother with ease

19 hours ago, Mossypumpkin said:

If it matters, it’s only 8’10” and I can fit it in my car easy enough. When you think about it, it’s only 10” longer than the average swimbait rod. It’s hella versatile. 5-13oz realistically. And actually has more flex than you’d think. Not a pool cue and tosses a mother with ease

yeah, im not looking for that size of rod, i generally try to stick to rods that are 7' 8" and hopefuly two piece. too bad dobyns doesnt have a 808 or 809

2 hours ago, Chazzy said:

yeah, im not looking for that size of rod, i generally try to stick to rods that are 7' 8" and hopefuly two piece. too bad dobyns doesnt have a 808 or 809

And 808 or 809 would definitely toss those baits in the 6-10oz range. But I can assure you, you don’t wanna be casting 10oz baits on an 8’ rod. That puts a tremendous amount of strain on your body and people don’t realize it until they are having to take a month off from fishing because they messed up their shoulder or wrist

On 1/19/2021 at 12:38 PM, Mossypumpkin said:

And 808 or 809 would definitely toss those baits in the 6-10oz range. But I can assure you, you don’t wanna be casting 10oz baits on an 8’ rod. That puts a tremendous amount of strain on your body and people don’t realize it until they are having to take a month off from fishing because they messed up their shoulder or wrist

Im young, 16, I have a JDM rod, that is 7 foot 8 inch rated up to a pound and i can cast a ghost, a mother, and a mag X no prob, i never feel any strain on my body, and im able to huck the baits 50-40 yards with ease. and it is great for transport as it is 2piece at the handle and because its short I am able to walk around places that you normally couldnt with that strong of a rod. I guess im going to have to find another rod maker 

On 1/19/2021 at 3:38 PM, Mossypumpkin said:

Or in my case too light and the elbow. Snapped my 806 and threw the HPH on the 867 on a good bite for a couple weeks. The torque you generate on your elbow trying to manually load a rod is no good. 

7 minutes ago, browniez said:

Or in my case too light and the elbow. Snapped my 806 and threw the HPH on the 867 on a good bite for a couple weeks. The torque you generate on your elbow trying to manually load a rod is no good. 

Yup. The right rod is so much more important than most people think. I don’t get tennis elbow nearly as bad since not using Okuma rods. They were just too stiff with no tip. Makes the world of difference