Cranking Rats vs. Surface Rats

fishratt

Looking to increase my rat and wakebait arsenal before the topwater season begins! 

I've always felt more confident waking my rats on the surface, but it seems like a lot of guys do really well by cranking them. What's your guys' view? 

Love me some crankdown rats/baby possums 

Cl8 baby possums are my number 1, out of the 17 hanging there, the first 6 on the left are wakes, the rest are crankdowns. A couple of them get 8’ down. Most go anywhere from 2-4’, and a few to 6’, some of the most violent hits are cranking down and slow creeping em. A lot of guys complain it’s too heavy to fish all day, or has too much drag. One reason I was able to score so many for good prices. 

another killer one and I think a must have is the toxic mink with heavier hooks/rings on it. That thing fishes so easy and can fish it all day. 

9388A8FD-D290-4806-B37B-F97CBC76A9D4.jpeg

B8AFF4CB-AA50-4017-AC26-9D8C0CABBF88.png

6907C88E-DA8C-4264-B5D1-6696EA532D85.jpeg

6C376806-F4FF-4F72-8353-DD4AEAD4A62B.jpeg

I added a couple rats for next year too so I'm hoping to use them more as well. I had some good success this fall cranking some rats down around laydowns. Getting deflection of the branches and then SLAM.

The baby possum like chris said is a nice bait. My biggest fish this year came on one. Intimidating at first but not as much when you see it choked in the mouth of a nice fish haha. I'm gonna try and snag a couple more this year I only have the one currently.

Edited by NEbucketmouth19