Loomis 966 vs Dobyns 807

119bowhunter

Does anyone have experience with both that would care to compare the two for me? I’ve been doing a lot of research on these 2 rods, primarily looking for an 8” hudd rod but I also have some larger treble hook baits (10” TT, baby possum, 9” MS slammer) I would like to throw as well.

I’ve been throwing the 8” hudd on a dobyns 795 fury as it’s the only swimbait rod I currently have, but since I’ve found this site I see most people seem to think that’s not enough rod for that bait.

Almost all of my rods are G Loomis with the exception of the 795 fury and I would prefer to go with Loomis if possible but the 966 is impossible to find right now while I could order the Dobyns right away, I was also leaning towards the 966 after hearing Matt Peters talk about it on southern trout eaters but it looks like the rod he’s using is not the same as the 966 IMX Pro currently offered. Also I’ve seen Matt Allen talk about the 966 in recent videos as a “do everything” rod, but in videos 2-3 years ago he is saying it’s not enough rod for the 8” hudd.

Sorry for rambling on just trying to decide which direction I want to go here and hoping some of y’all with real world experience will chime in.

Thanks

The two are different, one is more geared towards treble hard baits (imx 966) and the other (dobyns 807) for j- style hook soft baits (hudd) or owner beast hook (wcz soft baits). The reason is the power and action. The 966 is more parobolic and pins the fish like a giant crankbait rod with treble swimbaits  and the dobyns 807 has more backbone and faster action to set the j style hook on a hudd... hope this helps. I own both and highly recommend each of them.

18 hours ago, Harassthebass said:

The two are different, one is more geared towards treble hard baits (imx 966) and the other (dobyns 807) for j- style hook soft baits (hudd) or owner beast hook (wcz soft baits). The reason is the power and action. The 966 is more parobolic and pins the fish like a giant crankbait rod with treble swimbaits  and the dobyns 807 has more backbone and faster action to set the j style hook on a hudd... hope this helps. I own both and highly recommend each of them.

Thanks, I see that Matt Allen is typically throwing braid to leader on the 966 when he's throwing the huddlestons, I would assume this is helping him to get a better hookset with the J style hook on the more parabolic rod? I'm thinking I will go ahead and pick up an 807 for now since they are available and I'm really wanting something to throw the hudd on now, and I will look into getting the 966 whenever places start getting them back in stock.

On 1/16/2021 at 2:34 PM, 119bowhunter said:

Thanks, I see that Matt Allen is typically throwing braid to leader on the 966 when he's throwing the huddlestons, I would assume this is helping him to get a better hookset with the J style hook on the more parabolic rod? I'm thinking I will go ahead and pick up an 807 for now since they are available and I'm really wanting something to throw the hudd on now, and I will look into getting the 966 whenever places start getting them back in stock.

You looking for a bbr966 cause those will never come back

9 hours ago, BASS_SWINGER said:

You looking for a bbr966 cause those will never come back

No I was wanting the IMX Pro 966, just getting started down this rabbit hole but when I first started looking I didn't realize the 966bbr and the 966 offered now were completely different rods

28 minutes ago, Harassthebass said:

From what I remember the 966bbr could do it all... shame it was discontinued. The new 966 imx pro isnt a disappointment by any means.. just different type of rod.

I was just throwing a mothership on my bbr just fine the other day 

1 hour ago, 119bowhunter said:

No I was wanting the IMX Pro 966, just getting started down this rabbit hole but when I first started looking I didn't realize the 966bbr and the 966 offered now were completely different rods

See if fisherman’s warehouse has them they have a good selection last time I saw but it’s been a minute since I’ve been there they always seem to have a great selection of Gloomis maybe they will ship 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2021 at 10:05 AM, Harassthebass said:

From what I remember the 966bbr could do it all... shame it was discontinued. The new 966 imx pro isnt a disappointment by any means.. just different type of rod.

What’s different about it? I have a current imx pro 966 and I thought it was basically the same

• 2 weeks later...

The 807 is perfect for an 8” hudd. All the backbone you could want. But not a broomstick. Has enough flex in the top couple feet to keep fish pinned on those bigger hard baits you mentioned. People forget that with fishing soft baits, it’s not just about casting them, it’s about getting a good hookset with them. A 795 isn’t moving a 4oz chunk of plastic in a fishes mouth at the end of a cast very well.