Madness Japan/Balam 2021

_diggy_

13 hours ago, _diggy_ said:

So many options this year. 

This part of the video is crazy, should be timestamped, check out the whole video tho if you one are still one of the Balam Boyz like myself or plan to get a membership to the club this year.

holy crap!! its amazing the reaction you´re able to draw. i thought it wads cool how it started with one and turned into a wolf pack, it shows how the fish might like to group up and work together

7 hours ago, bigesoxlures said:

Is this a "natural" small lake where the bass just behave like this or is this a group of  hungry farmed fish?

Not sure but lots of JDM vids shot on canyon/river type looking water with steep cliffs, inflows, and lots of floating debris and debris mats. 

20 hours ago, bigesoxlures said:

Is this a "natural" small lake where the bass just behave like this or is this a group of  hungry farmed fish?

The lake that this is filmed in (Ikehara) is a deep, clear-water highland reservoir with very little cover in the form of weeds and timber. The baitfish are Hasu (a species of minnow), and amago, yamame, and ayu (all salmonids). When Florida strain bass were introduced to the reservoir they exploded in population like invasive carp do in the states. The second largest bass caught in japan (19.18 lbs., courtesy of Satan Shimada) was caught out of Ikehara. The reason they behave the way they do, is because all of their food is pelagic, i.e. swimming in open water. There's no cover to ambush their prey from, so they chase their prey along canyon walls, pinning them against the rocks. This is what the Balam was designed for. Emulating a fleeing trout and getting a reaction bite from those insane Ikehara double digits. If you watch Shimada fishing, you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

This is the same reason that the Balam performs well for me when I'm fishing irrigation canals. There's no cover and no structure but the cracks in the walls, loose chunks of concrete, and bends in the canal. There's nothing to ambush from, so the bass chase their prey into the walls. A lot of folks think the Balam is a gimmick bait and that Shimada relies on a stock pond for fish, but the truth is, Balam is the BOMB! I'm hoping this coming summer I'll be able to get more use out of it with a dedicated high-speed reel and a better short casting rod. I got seven fish on the Balam this last summer, five of which were in that 2-3 scrapper range, just reaction biting by surprise. 

asd.jpg