Tail materials

Mark Bowman

Hey guys I’m new to bait building and I’ve been loving it! But, I’ve been searching high and low to find any kind of definitive answers on what the heck to use for a translucent tail for a glide bait! Haha. I’m hoping some of you guys will share the secret and then it will be on the forum for the next guy that goes searching too! Thanks in advance. 

im just looking to get a translucent tail that’s somewhat rigid/durable but still soft. Basically the tail any glide bait ever made comes with. I’ve been scavenging spare tails until now

10AFDCAB-E0D0-4490-8787-54AE2FE8650D.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Mark Bowman said:

There are so many brands and types of urethane though! Give me a make and model haha

Any should work. I always direct people to Smooth-On or Alumilite as their products are relatively affordable and readily available. Check the technical data sheets for each product and you can compare colors, mix ratios, tear strength, cure times, etc. and choose whichever works best for you. Work and cure times are pretty important, so figure out how many tails or molds you plan to make/use at a time and choose accordingly.

I like using a shore hardness of 50 A-scale for my glides with 1/8" thick tails. This will give you about the consistency of a gancraft tail depending on your tail design. Other guys like harder tails, and for some baits a harder tail will produce a superior action. You can contact the manufacturer and they are sometimes willing to send you cured samples to help you choose a harness. At the end of the day though, you'll just have to experiment and find out what works best for your bait and your building process.

Good luck and have fun with it. Bait looks good.

Edited by danthefisherman

5 minutes ago, danthefisherman said:

Any should work. I always direct people to Smooth-On or Alumilite as their products are relatively affordable and readily available. Check the technical data sheets for each product and you can compare colors, mix ratios, tear strength, cure times, etc. and choose whichever works best for you. Work and cure times are pretty important, so figure out how many tails or molds you plan to make/use at a time and choose accordingly.

I like using a shore hardness of 50 A-scale for my glides with 1/8" thick tails. This will give you about the consistency of a gancraft tail depending on your tail design. Other guys like harder tails, and for some baits a harder tail will produce a superior action. You can contact the manufacturer and they are sometimes willing to send you cured samples to help you choose a harness. At the end of the day though, you'll just have to experiment and find out what works best for your bait and your building process.

Good luck and have fun with it. Bait looks good.

Now that’s what I’m talking about. You’re the man!
any smooth-on products in particular that have worked for you? I’ve been eyeing the eco flex 

4 minutes ago, Mark Bowman said:

Now that’s what I’m talking about. You’re the man!
any smooth-on products in particular that have worked for you? I’ve been eyeing the eco flex 

That would be my first choice. Keep in mind that the shelf life for a lot of urethanes is pretty short, so I wouldn't go buying gallon units to save money unless you're planning to pour a ton of tails haha. Happy building!