Rod Test aka Project S.E.N.D.I.T - Will it break? If it dies, it dies!

_diggy_

I wanted a shorter rod for bank fishing canals and areas with trees, especially at my peacock spots.

Ended up with: (Major Craft Days 70x) It's rated from 3/8 to 3oz. They also make a 6ft8 68-BB version with the same rating. All of my swimbait rods that are capable of heavier weights are about 8ft. My up to 3oz rod was a Powell Endurance 7ft6

-

I wanted a particular rod which was under 7ft6 and up to 12oz for the Ghost, but I have to wait months for it due to production, so opted for the 70x.

70x may be better for me since it's shorter than the initial rod I wanted if it throws all. 

68-BB version may be better than the 70x for my purposes based on length :?:

Either way, they can be obtained for under $200 shipped if you look around.

-
Reasons for picking this rod, since I could not get the initial rod I wanted:

I watched people in Japan throwing Gan Craft Jointed Claw 303's (9oz) (video linked)

Someone in another video was tossing a Roman Made Mother on the 2 piece version :-o 

Rod rating, again: up to 3oz :lol:

maxresdefault.jpg

-
Took 4 days to get from Japan and Fedex to deliver to the door. Got it 3 days ago.

All double footed guides unlike my Powell. Rod came inside of a nice rod bag. Made in Vietnam.

-

Baits thrown:

*1st day: Gantarel, Shine Glide 7 inch, Tiny Klash, KRK 205 with all tungsten pellets inserted (Giggidy) (3.4 oz)

*2nd day: foam filled due to leak, now slow sink Klash 9 (4.3oz), Wild Beat and Deps 250 (6.5oz range) 

(Wild Beat felt slightly heavier, Deps casted better due to shape of bait)

**Reel used: Daiwa Catalina TW with Zillion HD spool (20lb CXX)

-
Rod did not feel taxed at all IMO, the Deps was easy to cast with minimal effort. With the bait hanging, the rod tip barley bends. 

The K9 flew out easily on this rod. K9 will probably be the heaviest bait I fish most bait.
The Wild Beat felt a little weird casting (may be due to shape as mentioned), will test again since I have not really thrown it much since 1st getting it.

-

I will test Balam 300s today, which should be fine since they are near the same weight as my day 2 baits.

Reel: 2012 Exsence DC on BB setting (20lb CXX), will see how it goes.
-
Heaviest bait I own is a ghost which I am working up to at 8.8oz. Still in the box.

I do have (2) 300 size reels with 25lb CXX and 80lb braid where I can add leader if needed.

I hope to fish the rod this weekend and land a fish on it after this initial weight range testing near my house.

-
Here is one of a few videos with it from Japan

Sorry if any typos, will update 

1 minute ago, _diggy_ said:

I actually looked thru your profile after one of the discussions. It may be something to consider.

1 minute ago, brootalititties said:

Was looking at this exact rod, curious how long the handle is, can’t imagine it being very long on a 7 ft rod, ratings aside seems like that’d be a pain to cast over a couple ounces

Would 3-8oz with a full length handle be desirable? I usually do 18" handles.

3 minutes ago, rwp said:

Would 3-8oz with a full length handle be desirable? I usually do 18" handles.

I have a Phenix m1 (older version) 1-6 oz that has a 16” handle and I’d say thatd be the minimum I would want but I also dont really throw much under 3 oz so my opinion may just be that lol. I have a leviathan 2-8 oz with an 18” handle and imo that 2” makes a big deifference when casting, feels like I’m much more in control of the bait when launching it

Here's a discussion that we had on short rods earlier in the year;

I just special ordered a WildLures PREST rod from Kenji Kaitani for this same purpose. Predominantly for fishing reaction-type big baits tight to cover in the brush, specifically for fishing the Balam. While I love my 7-8 foot rods they suffer in close quarters.

Really excited to follow this thread, good write-up by the way.

22 minutes ago, brootalititties said:

Was looking at this exact rod, curious how long the handle is, can’t imagine it being very long on a 7 ft rod, ratings aside seems like that’d be a pain to cast over a couple ounces

I have a Gen 1 Megabass Levante Leviathan and this rod is about 2 inches longer in the handle section from the trigger when putting them side by side. It's a longer handle than my Powell which was about 14 inches.  I have a Okuma SBX I can compare it with as well later.

My Leviathan Rods Omega definitely has a longer handle, but also that defeats my purpose, sometimes the handle got in the way as well as length in certain areas.

Edited by _diggy_

Following--I'm 5'7, forest preserve bank fisherman, so yeah the 7'+ big bait rods are a  hassle sometimes. @rwp I saw a couple of your rod threads, didn't know they were available to the public. I'll definitely be following this one. 

Edited by 168 Rookie

2 minutes ago, 168 Rookie said:

Following--I'm 5'7, forest preserve bank fisherman, so yeah the 7'+ big bait rods are a  hassle sometimes. @rwp I saw a couple of your rod threads, didn't know they were available to the public. I'll definitely be following this one. 

I'll wrap up a short rod if you want. I'll send you a dm shortly.

6 minutes ago, rwp said:

I'll wrap up a short rod if you want. I'll send you a dm shortly.

Oh no don't start production, I'm not in the market just yet! But good to know because I think I will be sometime during this upcoming season. Thanks man!

1 minute ago, 168 Rookie said:

Oh no don't start production, I'm not in the market just yet! But good to know because I think I will be sometime during this upcoming season. Thanks man!

I sent you a DM. I will build one if people are interested in a short SB rod.