Small Swimbait Boat

Jake Olszewski

Good work jake, I’m diggin the back deck with the gas tank cutout.  Question, did the very front of the bow (at the point) have an exisiting support or did you make your own supports underneath or use aluminum angle riveted to the hull? I only ask because mine doesn’t and I don’t really want to drill thru the hull. I like your style, I’m going with the same color scheme.  Looks great bud!

2 hours ago, bake and waker said:

Good work jake, I’m diggin the back deck with the gas tank cutout.  Question, did the very front of the bow (at the point) have an exisiting support or did you make your own supports underneath or use aluminum angle riveted to the hull? I only ask because mine doesn’t and I don’t really want to drill thru the hull. I like your style, I’m going with the same color scheme.  Looks great bud!

I really really appreciate it, thank you so much. Yes I did add an extra support beam. I didn’t want to drill through the hull either, so I ran a piece of wood to the bottom of the hull and it just kinda rests there but it definitely helps support the front of the deck.Once again thank you so much! 

3 hours ago, bake and waker said:

This spring when I get my boat into the garage to work on it and add some stuff I will take some better pics of what it looks like underneath the deck and all of the little things and post it to this conversation. Hopefully the snow melts sooner than later so I can bring the boat from out back up to the garage. 

Sounds good bud, please do.  I’m basically doing the same thing, resting the frame on the existing welds and supporting with 2x2s underneath.  Another thing I carry in mine besides the knocker is googles and a towel.  Save me a few times lol. Thanks for the response dood

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Jake Olszewski said:

Here are some updated pics of the boat I’m working on I still need to pain in and outside but added in a carpeted bottom and a hatch over the gas tank. 

235F997E-95AA-426A-9F88-9CFA02D61F17.jpeg

0E3C6802-279C-462F-AFEE-4C479E9C6CE6.jpeg

Unscrew your hinges and put the hinge vertically between the hatch and deck. Trust me! Those will be hot as hell in the summer, and also you will bend the corners of the hinges out over time making the hatches a pain to open. Also makes the hinge able to slice your hands or feet wide open. The bonus of it vertically you don't see the rust and makes the decks look clean.

I recommend to get your wiring off your deck and drop it down into the groove that's between your deck And floor. You would hate to snag those wires out in the lake and be stuck!

Edited by Jinxd12

Looks like a fish slayin machine jake!! Thanks for the photos, got me stoked to work on mine. I’m really diggin that back deck.  Good work buddy, be proud of it.  I like the fact you kept the deck as low as possible, seen too many builds with the deck near the gunnels.  The work never ends on em it seems.  Got to agree with @Jinxd12 regarding the hinges and wire loom.  Simple fix and the carpet shouldn’t show the holes that bad.  If they do, slap a SU sticker on it lol.  Thanks again for coming thru with the photos! I respect the hard work man, good luck buddy!!!

5 hours ago, bake and waker said:

Looks like a fish slayin machine jake!! Thanks for the photos, got me stoked to work on mine. I’m really diggin that back deck.  Good work buddy, be proud of it.  I like the fact you kept the deck as low as possible, seen too many builds with the deck near the gunnels.  The work never ends on em it seems.  Got to agree with @Jinxd12 regarding the hinges and wire loom.  Simple fix and the carpet shouldn’t show the holes that bad.  If they do, slap a SU sticker on it lol.  Thanks again for coming thru with the photos! I respect the hard work man, good luck buddy!!!

Greatly appreciated thank you so much. I will definitely work on the hinges today and see what I can do I was thinking of getting carpet decals no matter what so that works out well. Thanks again! 

I see most bass boats have carpeting and never understood why. I know it is good for traction, but any time a treble touches the deck you wind up cutting it out or sitting there trying to untangle it.

For a custom personal build, has anyone tried to either wrap the ply with vinyl or use some kind of spray on bed liner type of product to gain water protection and traction? I am building out a deck for my jon boat and was going to try that but maybe there is good reason why you don't see people doing that. 

4 hours ago, mrlang123 said:

I see most bass boats have carpeting and never understood why. I know it is good for traction, but any time a treble touches the deck you wind up cutting it out or sitting there trying to untangle it.

For a custom personal build, has anyone tried to either wrap the ply with vinyl or use some kind of spray on bed liner type of product to gain water protection and traction? I am building out a deck for my jon boat and was going to try that but maybe there is good reason why you don't see people doing that. 

I think one of the big things with having carpet is that it helps dampen sound, seems like a lot of bass boat builders are increasingly offering alternatives to carpet with the seadek foam stuff, etc. I'm sure the bedliner option would be good and easy to keep clean but probably would be noisier, especially in an aluminum boat

49 minutes ago, 119bowhunter said:

I think one of the big things with having carpet is that it helps dampen sound, seems like a lot of bass boat builders are increasingly offering alternatives to carpet with the seadek foam stuff, etc. I'm sure the bedliner option would be good and easy to keep clean but probably would be noisier, especially in an aluminum boat

That is an interesting and important consideration. Thanks

53 minutes ago, 119bowhunter said:

I think the foam is probably the best of both worlds. I know Oliver Ngy has his whole deck covered in the stuff. Not sure how it holds up long term though and I'm sure its more expensive to replace than carpet. 

6 hours ago, mrlang123 said:

I was concerned with that as well.  Knowing alcohol, 5-8 setups with multiple trebles and carpet was a bad combination, I opted for vinyl.  Also, I plan on bowfishing from my boat as well, so needless to say there will be blood!!  I think most people are either turned off by the price or simply not aware of the vinyl options.  Indoor/outdoor carpet can be had for $20 for a 6’x8’ piece from Home Depot which is cheaper than vinyl and much chaper than seadek. If I was too cheap to wrap my kayak in seadek, I’m too cheap to wrap the boat lol.  That seadek looks good but wasn’t practical for my application.  Looks like it will stain easy, get torn up fairly easy if you abuse it and may burn easy with ashes from smoking. I wrapped my benches in nautolex and couldn’t be happier.  Still has plenty of traction, should stay cool in summer, and much much easier to clean. Waiting on paint before installing. Here’s a photo with a few pieces waiting to be wrapped and a few completed.

B6267088-DAF3-45BD-A5BB-60D2005B7694.jpeg