20lb Big Game question

AK47

i just put some new line on went out to the lake threw my 1st cast and snap...my line broke right at the reel. what would cause this? its never happend b4..and not to mention a 25$ swimbait is now at the bottom of the lake

I've snapped off only one bait. My spool tension knob was all the way loose and even further. The spool caught on the pinion or internal gears and stopped the spool. Line snapped (25 lb test). That could have been the problem here, or previous backlash caused a kink like stated above.

Personally have never had a problem with big game. I like to grab mine from walmart, a buddy told me the catfish guys use it so the shelf gets restocked with fresh spools more often.

like stated above with it being so cheap, maybe grab another new spool and put some fresh 20 on there.

Geoff

It could be a bad batch but I would check it by giving the fresh line some nice tugs...you ought to be able to put a lot of pressure on the line and feel it stretch and probably can't break it with your bare hands. If you can break it by pulling on it....junk it. Otherwise I think its a real good possibility you had some sort of tangle that cause a backlash. I've left rods in the sun (in my car) and after a long period the line will get brittle but it should be tip top if you just bought it.

JK

thanx guys...i'm not sure it dident backlash it honestly just snapped..i'm gonna junk the whole spool i picked up some 25lb on sunday so i'm just gonna try that. thanx again guys

If it broke right at the reel definitely check your reel for sharp edges. Especially if it has a ceramic guide. If the ceramic is cracked, which happens occasionally, it may have a sharp edge that can cut the line. It can be hard to see, so you can also check with a cue tip. The fibers will usually catch on the crack. Also check your ceramic guides on your rod. I've had cracked guides before that caused "mystery" snapping of the line.