Antares MD DC Issues

JCW VA

Glad to hear that! Unfortunately, both Shimano and Daiwa HAVE QUALITY CONTROL issues with their top tier reels, their high ends. This is not acceptable... but the only thing we can do is damage control, since these reels are only backed by limited warranty in Japan only. So, it's a taken risk. What's unacceptable is to have this level of low performance in their top reels that sell for over $600 USD.

Yes, PLAT is probably the best for parts ordering. And the carbontex washers are no brainer, given that the stock ones look like melting with usage (they lose material that just sticks to the gears every time you crank down the drag to maximum).

Edited by AndZ

I was lucky enough to find someone that knew how to fix my Anteras issue... I used it in the salt water on two trips. Those salt water trips caused my bearings to crust up... lesson learned. I will not fish my Anteras for Calico bass. My XShip needed to be replaced as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

Update - I installed the new gears last week, and they appear to have resolved all of the issues.  I have put about 6 hours of fishing time on it since then, and everything is working like new.  Hopefully this set of gears will hold up better than the last.

18 minutes ago, JCW VA said:

Update - I installed the new gears last week, and they appear to have resolved all of the issues.  I have put about 6 hours of fishing time on it since then, and everything is working like new.  Hopefully this set of gears will hold up better than the last.

Are they brass or aluminum?

• 1 month later...

Not to beat a dead horse... but have you had any issues since you changed the gears? Mines had the same issue, just paid $70 for a main gear and pinion... Debating if I should dump the reel after fixing it. 

I run 6 MD DCs, I fish up to 8oz on them, i too had some heat issues that replace and a reel tech took care of since, $40 yearly service and good to go…for me anyway. Lots of guys fix their own..me, I’m a bull in a China shop, no thanks

bengyaj - The reel has been flawless since replacing the gears.  I picked up a second MD DC a couple months ago, and it has been great.  I had a tough time removing the X-ship bearing when doing the original repair, so I suspect that might have been the issue. You may want to check that when you replace the gears.

On 6/26/2021 at 1:20 PM, JCW VA said:

bengyaj - The reel has been flawless since replacing the gears.  I picked up a second MD DC a couple months ago, and it has been great.  I had a tough time removing the X-ship bearing when doing the original repair, so I suspect that might have been the issue. You may want to check that when you replace the gears.

Thanks! It was the X-ship bearing. I oiled it but that didn't help. I put a teeny bit of shimano drag grease on the handle side of the bearing and solved my issue! 

• 8 months later...

Hope you guys don't mind me reviving this old thread. I'm having issues with my Antares MD. Every once in awhile, the reel itself became loud, then it'd subside and go back to normal dead silent reeling, then back to sounding loud. Just did a ~10 hour fishing day today, and it's really bad now. 

When I make a cast, I can't even hear the DC, it just sounds like hell. However, I don't notice an effect on casting distance or even smoothness, it's still buttery smooth. What the hell is causing this? Dirty bearings? I just did a deep clean, most of the bearings are currently being soaked / flushed overnight, will report what happens afterwards. 

EDIT: Also, I never fished salt with this reel. Heaviest lure I fish is the Klash 9 with this reel. 

Edited by Ravelthus

I've always wanted a DC MD but I couldn't bring myself to pay for one because I know if I actually use it it's going to be a problem. I have enough reels sitting on a shelf already. The main problem is that the closed off handle sideplate holds water. Water sits in the sideplate and has nowhere to go and ruins every bearing in that side of the reel. And there's really nothing you can do about it. Thus picture was 90% of MD DCs I saw. Totally corroded within 2 years. Very similar to the tranx problems though. The reels hold water with nowhere for it to go. Plus the fact that micro module gears get geary feeling within a few years.Screenshot_20220405-103359_Instagram.jpg.1547b5ccf6a073e6082fd2cc9db1484c.jpg

Personally I fail to see where the term "monster" is used when describing this reel. Shimano took a reel made for small soft plastics and jerkbaits, made it a higher gear ratio, put on a bigger handle and did a fantastic job at marketing it to guys who would pay $600. There is nothing special about the internals at all. That's just my .02 cents. Looks dope thoughScreenshot_20220405-104742_Instagram.jpg.be1530d9b95c6b77ba1d74ae2c2ecb16.jpg