Big Rats and Topwater Baits - Best line and weight?

Nomad

This might be a little controversial, but back when I used everything on one rod I threw a lot of wakes on straight flouro. Just start reeling as soon as it hits the water and there really is not much of a difference. I would not recommend this for anything like a punker.

On 4/28/2021 at 8:40 PM, 119bowhunter said:

Everyone throwing braid to leader, what connection knot are you tying? I’ve always used braid to leader on my spinning rods and like the idea of doing it with swim baits on a baitcaster but I’m concerned about the knot running through the guides

I'm 50lb PowerPro SuperSlick8 to 15lb Big Game, uni-to-uni knot. I tried the FG Knot first, put in about 3 hours all told trying to learn it, gave up on it. Tried the uni, got it solid on the first try, haven't had a single failure yet. Yeah you hear it go through the guides but it's not bad.

Something unusual (from what I read/hear): I tie my leaders long enough that when I'm set to cast my connection knot is in my reel, wrapped at least a couple times. The uni is smooth enough that it comes out of the reel-hole (the technical term escapes me) and through the guides no problem. Guess I wouldn't call it "smooth as butter," but no failures.

This is dual purpose: obvious reason is it's much longer before I have to retire my leader. The other reason (learned from Randy Blaukat, old tourney pro) is that when you've got a standard 2-4ft leader and you get a fish up to landing/netting position, your connection knot is right around your rod tip. That bouncing and jostling around of the knot and tip can start to ruin the integrity of the knot. Prolly not really a huge thing because as far as I can tell most people still run a standard length and do fine. Just something else to consider.