Big Rats and Topwater Baits - Best line and weight?

Nomad

20/25# big game. But recently have been throwing suffix advance 20#.

I throw mono because I have MANY errant casts in the pitch black haha. But even still I have not broken off or missed fish. Trees have broke me off few hundred bucks worth of baits!

I throw 80lb suffix832 to 30lb big game mono.  Straight braid isn't ideal for walking baits, but for wake baits it will work great.  straight mono will not walk a heavier walking bait properly.  Braid to mono seems to be the perfect mix of shock/stiffness.  FG knot w/rizzuto finish only, but a crazy alberto comes in 2nd place for being easier to tie and still decently strong.

Everybody has a preference, ill tell you now though.. If you use 80lb braid to 30lb mono, the chances of casting off a bait goes down to basically nothing if you tie everything correctly.

Edited by SacPig916

• 2 weeks later...

I have been running straight 25lb Pline PF. It has just the right amount of stretch for me . I used to used Big Game but I would miss bites on a long cast because of how much stretch it has. Personally I also hate the sound of braid going through the guides plus the connection knot is just another thing I have to worry about tying on the water. That being said I respool  almost every trip. 

25 lb maxima.  After losing baits on 65lb  power pro and 20 lb maxima , I am now trying 25 lb maxima.  So for so good.  What is important on mono from my experience is re-tying after every fish and constantly checking for nicks and abrasions to your line.

Everyone throwing braid to leader, what connection knot are you tying? I’ve always used braid to leader on my spinning rods and like the idea of doing it with swim baits on a baitcaster but I’m concerned about the knot running through the guides