? About landing fish from shore

SwimbaitsatLMV

Yesterday I lost a donkey (9 or 10lbs) from shore that took my babay wake. My question is how should I land this fish? There is a bulkhead and its about 2 ft tall. Should I use a net? Or grab by hand? My line snapped when I tried to lip it but Idk if there is a beter option?

Btw I got the babay wake back

A net is the best thing. By hand you may get hooked too. Sometimes you get only one chance at the boat or bank to get them. look at butch's I think it was a 18 or 19? the hudd goes flying out as it gets in the net. This has happend to me also. They have so much power as soon as you slow down or stop that is when they get some control and get off. Sounds like you had her hooked well enough but swinging them is risky.

one possibility is to buy yourself a folding net that you can pull out for easy access.

another is fish with a buddy, or run down the bank with the fish on until you find a spot were you can lip it, haha

My buddy just stood there lol. And there isn't anywhere to lip it... guess I have to carry a net.

Thanks guys!

Grind them straight into the net, i've lost a bunch of fish at shore or the edge of my boat, as Ben calls it my "quick release" method :lol::lol::lol:

On a boat, straight into the net, unless they are little and can be flipped. From shore, you just gotta grind that sucker to your feet and reach down quick. Sometimes they get you back, but it's all part of throwing big baits.

Danny that net is way to freakin' big to be luggin around shore fishing. Heck, its too big with no where to go in my boat! lol.

Geoff

not really from the shore but out of a pontoon boat i have had my fair share of lost pigs, it wasnt until i lost a fish pushing 10lbs in oregon last fall until i bought a net...... a few trips later i had a fish almost as big that i netted :lol: 10lbs 2 ounces best one of last year in oregon and 2lbs from the state record i was really glad i had that net.... it wasnt a swimbait fish but still a good story of why to invest in that net it saved me numerous times since then, i could have landed that first big girl i lost also she broke it off on a last ditch effort run..... :( those ones kinda keep you chasing though

I fish from shore 90% of the time. Most of the time i get bit im just cranking and sliding them onto the shore. in your situation i would try to get the fish coming at you and flip her or just lip her. if you get a hook in your hand then you get one in your hand. just take some line and rip it out. lol.

Normally I would say do something like this

However with a 2 foot wall you need a net. I'd be more concerned why your line broke in the first place. Did the line rub against the wall?

I fish from shore 90% of the time. Most of the time i get bit im just cranking and sliding them onto the shore. in your situation i would try to get the fish coming at you and flip her or just lip her. if you get a hook in your hand then you get one in your hand. just take some line and rip it out. lol.

Oh yeah lets flip 10 lbrs w/ 15 lb line or stab myself :roll::lol: