Tuning a deps 250

i_dont_surf99

Hi guys I recently purchased a deps 250 in the aurora purple color and I was quite concerned when I took it out of the boxing. It felt light, cheap and after comparing it to my flash carp I noticed that is slightly longer and wider than my flash carp. Also the joint space is so small especially compared to the carp. I took it out for a swim and the bait wobbles like it’s trying to walk on a tight rope. You really need to force a glide out of it and some casts it wants to dive up and other it heads straight to the bottom(doesn’t seem like it was messed around with. Can someone help me figure out how to tune it? Or possibly help me determine if it’s a Chinese market  knock off? Thanks in advance

Any of the new ones Ive fished worked much better with just a little added weight up front. I would get the tuning weight and cut it in half long ways and just a dab of glue to hold it in. In my opinion it made them much more stable and a wider glide on reel turns.

Hope this helps.

Did you buy new or used? Ebay?

18 hours ago, StriperAddict said:

Any of the new ones Ive fished worked much better with just a little added weight up front. I would get the tuning weight and cut it in half long ways and just a dab of glue to hold it in. In my opinion it made them much more stable and a wider glide on reel turns.

Hope this helps.

Did you buy new or used? Ebay?

Yeah I was considering maybe adding a hook to the nose as well as adding double split rings. If that doesn’t work I’ll definitely try the tuning weight like you recommended. Where exactly do you super glue it? Thanks for your help!

23 hours ago, Csweitzer said:

I haven’t heard of any knock-offs. Post pictures of both baits side by side. That one looked like it sank at a typical rate for a New Style 250.

I haven’t heard of any knock-offs. Post pictures of both baits side by side. That one looked like it sank at a typical rate for a New Style 

I haven’t heard of any knock-offs. Post pictures of both baits side by side. That one looked like it sank at a typical rate for a New Style 250.

It’s actually a lot faster in person, that angle my friend recorded it at does not do it justice. I wanted him to stand next to me but....oh well. It sinks significantly faster than my other deps .I’ll post some pictures soon

10 minutes ago, i_dont_surf99 said:

Yeah I was considering maybe adding a hook to the nose as well as adding double split rings. If that doesn’t work I’ll definitely try the tuning weight like you recommended. Where exactly do you super glue it? Thanks for your help!

I glue it in the slot under the "chin" its designed to go there.

18 minutes ago, i_dont_surf99 said:

Look at the joint gap. 

that's not the joint gap...thats the skin. Add some warm water to loosen the superglue holding the skin on and push the front skin forward to widen the joint gap. But based on the pics, that definitely not a rip off.