Bluegill Bait / Story

James Bailey

I started playing around 3 years ago trying to make a swimbait, the thing was a huge block of wood shaped like a bluegill and I painted it straight green. It wasn't that flashy but it swam and had followers. I went on to make a second one that was a 3 piece bait it has a horrible paint job on it but I was learning at the time. (it's the bait in my hand) I ended up getting a 3D printer. I had some model making experience and hoped I could make something cool. My first testy was literally a block with holes for hardware and my second test was the trout on top.

After experimenting back and forth I returned to a bluegill shape and got a pretty nice looking lure. even though it looked great to me I still thought something was missing. I asked my buddy what he though and his response was "Bet you cant put scales on it" so I took that as a challenge and ended up making the bluegill bait you see at the bottom. I've molded it and am currently testing it, making it has made me appreciate the work builders put into their baits even more.

As soon as I catch a fish on it you know I'm gonna be thrilled. 

1304255495_WY9m0arl(1).thumb.jpg.41132be3162259da5e0d5ca051fadaf4.jpg1154530660_55FD5QHt(1).thumb.jpg.68587fabbd6837fd43959a744aa06652.jpg348115427_EO6BHOct(1).thumb.jpg.5cd0af3e8c114612e8dc1d002ed3db9b.jpg

1 hour ago, ThatKidInNY said:

Nice looking bait James, I remember watching your video on YouTube when I first learned about big baits. That Bullgill fish was nice!

Thanks man, that day hooked me into this community. I had went to buy a setup that could throw the bullgill glide and we were testing it at a pond we usually catch dinks at.
When I caught mine it was crazy and then my buddy got his like 30 minutes later on the other side. I started carving about a month after that video.

13 hours ago, Mitchduh said:

Looking good man, the profile and paint are beautiful! What material and technique do you use to get the tail like that? Trying to steer clear of the hard plastic tails for a couple builds.

It's all resin, I made the tail in blender and 3d printed it in PLA plastic and molded it.

I want to get into making silicone tails as well, so if you figure something out let me know.

13 hours ago, James Bailey said:

It's all resin, I made the tail in blender and 3d printed it in PLA plastic and molded it.

I want to get into making silicone tails as well, so if you figure something out let me know.

I wish I had a different method than mine at the moment, just use hard polycarbonate sheet and cut to size. Which works just has no give at all, Might try to carve some tails out and cast them?

polycarbonate is not so bad if you have certain tools..... very easy to work, if you have the knowledge and tools.

If you don't it can be quite troublesome and potentially pain experience.