Dockrat Lures 7” Shad Reviews???

Swimbait302

I was looking for a decently priced 7” shad glide and I came across the Dockrat. I’ve heard good things about the baits before but after seeing the swim video I’m definitely considering buying one. Anyone have any experience with the bait? How does it swim on a straight retrieve, burn, reel chops, etc.DEA77229-8BF8-44AA-86FE-E73EC23AA41D.thumb.jpeg.8a63b3a2f7cf5bce051e6935df0488d2.jpeg

I have the 10”. Very unique and affordable baits. Super thin from side to side. I caught a 4.12 post spawner the first few casts with mine earlier this year. It has a hard thumping feeling on a steady fast retrieve. It will shoot out a bit on a pause or small chop and turn about 90°. It will "walk the dog" well underwater with rod pops just like you would do with a walking bait. I’ve had the best luck at moderate to fast retrieves and just do the opposite during the swim. Meaning, if you’re burning it, just slow way down for a few feet and pick the speed back up. If you’re fishing it moderate or slow, burn it for a few feet and then back to the original retrieve. That’s when I’ve gotten all my bites...on the speed change. But I haven’t had one eat it on the pause like most of my other glides. 

Mine is a SS which in my opinion is more like an XSS. It’s by far not the widest gliding bait I own. And with the right retrieve, mine will nose down very slightly and allow me to get it a bit deeper with a slight dive. Kinda like a HPH with an oval split attached. I actually like that. But overall, I find fishing it on a steady retrieve with the speed changes above to work the best for me. I know you’re asking about the 7”, but this bait has a big bait profile yet feels like a smaller bait on the end on my line. If that makes sense. 

858B4394-6A71-4292-A8C2-D943C80E9AA2.jpeg

It's amazing for the price. You can't go wrong with it glides very well for the price and it can glide from full burn to the simple glide but sometimes it blows out but not often. Loved mines until I broke it off you won't be disappointed. 

1 hour ago, Swimbait302 said:

Thanks for the in depth breakdown, that exactly what I was looking for. Did you by any chance change the hooks and did it affect the action significantly? Great fish by the way!

Thanks man. I bought mine second hand from a buddy. But we talk a good bit. I’ll ask him if these hooks are stock or if he swapped them out tomorrow. The hooks on it have been doing their job flawlessly. But no, I haven’t had the need to change them personally. If I do, it will simply be for a bit faster sink rate. But this bait straight catches bass. I love it. 

Any product you buy from Nick will be world class and his customer service is as good as it can possibly get. He has always answered all questions I have had, made adjustments to baits if needed..etc. I have had multiple 7” Shads..and for me I think they fall in the category of what tactical bassin would refer to as a “cover glide.” Slow retrieve is a s motion, as fast as you can burn won’t blow out, handle turns or rod snaps will make the bait shoot out side to side and you can walk the dog subsurface.  The last Shad that I bought from Nick I have been using a snap and have got a wider glide than previously just throwing tied directly..really impressive for a 7” bait with that Shad body profile. They are super light. Patterns are always very cool. On his last Instagram post, he said there will be some 7” shad glides in his next drop. Take care 

14 hours ago, SVT THUNDER said:

Thanks man. I bought mine second hand from a buddy. But we talk a good bit. I’ll ask him if these hooks are stock or if he swapped them out tomorrow. The hooks on it have been doing their job flawlessly. But no, I haven’t had the need to change them personally. If I do, it will simply be for a bit faster sink rate. But this bait straight catches bass. I love it. 

@Swimbait302 Talked to my buddy. Mine are stock hooks. I was honestly surprised at how tough these have been dragging bass out of grass. They’re big hooks, but not near as heavy as most of my other custom glides come with. No bending or breaking so far. 

Edited by SVT THUNDER
User tag