TrapBass Gill Jr

jkarol24

Swimbait Review: Trapbassbaits Gill Jr

The TrapGill Jr is a 3 piece floating resin Wake N Crank, with a traditional bulbous Gill profile. The bait came stock with a hard plastic tail, but a soft plastic tail was also included in the box. The bait comes in at 5.5" and 3 ounces, and is a scaled down version of their normal Gill model. The baits are also relatively available, and drop every 3-5 weeks.  It is suggested to fish the bait on a snap or ring, but I had no issue tying direct, which is my personal preference. 

The straight retrieve produces a good bit of surface wake disturbance, with an apparent V wake. Most of the turbulence is caused by the 2 rear sections, along with the free-swinging hard plastic tail. The head of the bait stays relatively true, with a subtle back and forth on that moderate/slow retrieve. There is also a subtle clicking sound produced. The bait will stay up on top up to about a moderate pace, and will crank down at anything faster. 

The action seems to open up and widen a bit on the slow crawl, as the head hunts a little more, along with a slight back and forth rock. The bait maintains its action down to a crawl, and can definitely be fished slow if that is your desire. 

The TrapGill Jr. also walks nicely, so long as you do not overwork the bait. Nice subtle rod twitches will get the back turning 180 degrees, and it throws a good bit of water along with the surface splash. This retrieve also creates the most amount of sound, but via splash but also via resin clicking. You can slow walk it and keep it a bit more subtle, or you can speed it up nicely as long as you're paying attention to how hard you're hitting it. 

The faster crank down retrieve also seems to open up the swim, as the head knocks a bit more than the wake. The swim is fluid and natural, and the bait will get down 3 ft or so on a medium cast. You can introduce some twitches to get the bait dancing, or you can pause and allow the bait to turn 90 degrees off center. 

I fished the bait on a Dobyns 806, along with a Tranx 400 and 20 lb copoly. Mono or braid would be fine for the wake and walk, and fluro might get another foot of depth if you're strictly cranking down. With the bait only being 3 oz, most guys are going to have a setup to throw this bait effectively. Even though it's a "JR" size, I felt that the profile was a fairly normal sized Gill profile, and I did not feel like it was a "finesse" or "small" swimbait. It is substantially larger than a Shellcracker for instance.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day, and I urge you to remember all of those who lost their lives while defending our country and our freedom. Their sacrifices allow us our way of life, and make it possible to follow the passion of swimbaiting!