Dobyns 867 and 908 blanks

fishratt

Just tried a buddy's 867 and 908 for the first time and fell in love. They have the perfect bend for treble hook baits. 

Is anyone familiar with blanks that are similar to the bends of these two rods? Custom builders, help me out here. thnks

@Bass_blaster
can help with Phenix choices

The mhx musky blanks are great, especially with 4 or 6" cut off the butt. Avoid the fast action ones, they are really fast.

Mu108xh and mu108xxh, accurately rated from my experience.

NFC is hit or miss if you will actually get your order.

Rod geeks are St. Croix blanks from their mexico facility.

American tackle also make great blanks the bushido ba blanks are pretty moderate, but over rated a little.

Rainshadow has a few swimbait blanks that people use, but I've never had one in hand.

Edited by rwp
words are hard

Never used the dobyns stuff but my favorite Phenix blank for treble hook stuff 5-8oz is the black Diamond 809xhj. Heavier baits I go to a 909XHJ. Everything up to 5oz I have used a standard (not the hybrid)Ultra Swimbait 800H. The Titan Longfall 710h is also a very nice moderate fast blank but to me it tops out around 4oz. 

overall, if you really want parabolic then the Phenix Titan mentioned above would be the closest but it’s still not really parabolic. Not sure if they really have any parabolic options for their factory stuff. 

6 minutes ago, fishratt said:

You're kinda right. I got into this whole custom rod building thing, but what's the point if I found a production rod that's perfect. 

I have two 794s, a 795, 796, two 806s, two 807s, 867, and a 908. I sold my irod 8’6” and just don’t use my custom much. Hard to beat the actions, price, availability, and lifetime warranty. And the customer service is top notch. If you decide on them hmu…I’ll point you in the direction to get a discount

On 6/13/2021 at 2:19 AM, rwp said:

@Bass_blaster
can help with Phenix choices

The mhx musky blanks are great, especially with 4 or 6" cut off the butt. Avoid the fast action ones, they are really fast.

Mu108xh and mu108xxh, accurately rated from my experience.

NFC is hit or miss if you will actually get your order.

Rod geeks are St. Croix blanks from their mexico facility.

American tackle also make great blanks the bushido ba blanks are pretty moderate, but over rated a little.

Rainshadow has a few swimbait blanks that people use, but I've never had one in hand.

dont mean to hijack op's subject, but mu108 means it is a 10 foot 8 rod?

10 hours ago, danthefisherman said:

Love my 795 and 867 for hard baits

If you toss many light baits; g2 cracker, baby wake, fs shad, tk, and such, try a 794. The thing folds right in half fighting a fish. You don’t lose treble fish on it! Then the 796 is awesome for those bigger hard baits 2-4oz and some smaller soft baits too. I hate to say,  the 795 is my least favorite of all the champs 

12 hours ago, Mossypumpkin said:

If you toss many light baits; g2 cracker, baby wake, fs shad, tk, and such, try a 794. The thing folds right in half fighting a fish. You don’t lose treble fish on it! Then the 796 is awesome for those bigger hard baits 2-4oz and some smaller soft baits too. I hate to say,  the 795 is my least favorite of all the champs 

Really! I might have to pick one up one of these days then...