My LDC White Label power rating question

jiggerjake

I just received my LDC White Label 7'9" MH . The rod is beautiful. This is my first LDC so I'm really not familiar with how each power rating should preform but this seems a little off to me. I noticed it felt very stout  when I pulled it from the tube. For a little comparison I put it up against my Dobyn's 806 and the LDC MH was noticeably more stout than my 806.I know Dobyn's over-rate their rods somewhat but to me the LDC MH I got would be more like an XH compared to the Dobyn's. 

To confirm I tied a 13oz shoe(haha) to each and put them side-by-side, hands down the LDC MH was way more powerful. Does this sound right? Like I said I'm not familiar with the LDC line-up.

Is it a possibility the blanks got mixed up during production? Can anyone that also owns both share your thoughts on how your two compare. Wanted to get some input before I reach out to Ben. I have some side by side pics but I can't get them to download here.

Got it thanks. So from what I take away from that thread is the Dobyn's 806 is on par with the LDC XH power wise (not action) If so this leads me to believe my MH may have been mis-labeled as it's defiantly a heavier power rod than my 806 ? I wish I could load the side-by-side pics I have of the two under load with a 13oz shoe tied to each.All I had haha.

I might have added to the confusion. I was taking away from it the white labels are a faster action. During fishing they are more stout than the dobyns. When I compared mine together. The Dobyns are such a parobolic action. Bending the full length of the rod. The White labels were faster action. White labels have just the right action to use all styles of baits. Jig hook baits treble hook baits.  I always felt the Dobyns didn’t give me enough power on jig hook style baits. They really do but it doesn’t feel like it when the hook set happens. 

I hear what you're saying and agree. My question lies stricktly with the power. If the LDC I have is a MH I can't imagine what the H and XXH are like. I mean this thing is almost a broomstick for a rod rated 1-5oz. Like I said it barely has any bend to it with 13oz hanging from it.

Again I'm not familiar with any of his rods, this is my first and I may be off base here but it just seems a bit much for a MH rod. I've had the Dobyn's 795 and I guess I was expecting it to be something along those lines.

White labels feels stiffer than most and allow for ease of use with swim baits in the 1-5oz category. I actually feel like they top out at 4oz but thats me. They seem like they won’t bend under load like the softer rods offered by other company’s. This is FAR from the truth. The MH fishes treble baits in the rating range very effectively and the fish stay stuck like Velcro. The action can throw some people off, even did me at first and I’ve used LDC since day one, but Ben had these tapers made custom and they are the freaking juice. I’ve used them time and time again and if you can get one they are very very hard to beat. LDC was the first swim rod builder to offer a “production” line up for big bait guys and that experience definitely shows thru in the white label line up. Thin blanks, dynamic actions and plain fishability. 

Edited by Ceaser

i can throw down to the fatback herring swimmer on my MH LDC and it still loads the rod up (1 oz bait i believe), yet plenty of backbone to do other things as well.  i think once you use it you'll still be confused as to how it's able to do it, but pleasantly surprised at how well it's able to handle so many things!

• 3 weeks later...

If it helps you any, I have fished the white label MH for a few years.  The way the rod taper works, it bends through the whole blank.  This may make you think the rod is stiff, but once you load the blank on a larger fish the blank bends deep into the rod and pins fish.   I have caught fish on glides, multi joints, jog hook softies, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, lippless, jigs, a-rigs on it.  I took it to Mexico with me and it could throw most heavy conventional tackle enough to get by without losing fish.   You can cast baits from 3/4 to about 4.5ish ounces on it.  Give the rod a shot, you will not regret it.