Large Softbait Stinger hook Ethics

manansalsa

What are some of the best practices to keep the fish safe when rigging stingers on large softbaits (10"+)? What's the farthest back on the bait you would put a stinger hook? I remember seeing Greg Blanchard throwing a 6" hudd with a treble on the tail, is stuff like that safe for the fish? And finally, what are some rigs that you should absolutely not do?

Check Tactical Bassin's more recent stinger vids; Matt Allen says he no longer uses the stinger, finds the jig hook is fine because the  big fish we're after generally eat the bait whole, not tail-nip. He recommends though that if you must run a stinger, run it along the back to right behind the dorsal fin. The bottom stinger is a killer, it can hook the fish way down in the gullet and in their gills. I'll try to find and post the exact vid where he goes into it.

• 8 months later...

Pretty new to the swimbait game myself.

Targeting Smallmouth 98% of the time.

Have been throwing the 6" Savage Gear RTF and the 6" Huddleston Deluxe and gained confidence in both recently. The Savage Gear comes with a stinger setup, the Hudd is a straight jig hook.

Hookup to bite ratio is higher with the stingers. Fish in the net ratio is higher with the stingers as well. From what I have seen anyways.

That being said, when my PB hit the Savage Gear RTF all the way to the jig hook and I got her in the net...all I could think was ""Not Allowed" I hope that stinger is not in her gills". They were not, she was fine. But it would have completely ruined the experience if I ended up killing that fish.

After that, I retired that bait and started throwing the Hudd.

I found I lost more fish, but I was never worried about sticking them in the gills either. I agree now that the fish you are truly after will not require stingers, just a solid hook set, all the skill you have and a bit of luck.

The Savage Gear is still a sick bait, could totally clip the stinger wire and fish it with just the jig hook, easy enough to add it back if you feel it is necessary.