DIY WCZ Board

chefchris

Nothing to ground breaking but threw this together over the last week. 

1/4” finish grade maple from Home Depot, had them cut it down to 10” x 34.5. Was like $9 with both cuts, so if you don’t have a saw no big deal. The travel board is 8” x 34.5” 

some oil base black paint, you can use whatever color you want, some foam brushes or throw away $1 store brushes, green 3m pad, titebond 3 waterproof glue (this stuff is insane and has so many uses), some cheap sandpaper and of course a wcz travel board (remove the grommet with a flat head screw driver or drill a big enough hole to allow the grommet to lay flat. 

round the corners over with the sandpaper. Then you want to apply 2-4 coats of paint to each side and the edges. Until you have a glossy finished product and no dry areas. Took me 3 days to make sure it was painted enough. Allow it to dry fully. 

then take the green 3m pad and scuff the board on one side and the back of the travel board. 

apply the glue to board, leaving a one inch border on top and bottom, I taped mine off with some masking tape. Make sure you apply enough and you’ll push the extra out anyway. 

press the travel board down and then use a credit card or squeegee starting at the middle and work the excess glue out.

clean up anything with a damp sponge

let it dry 2-4 days then throw whatever slaps on it you want. This is for the new boat and will be mounted on a large size Plano storage box in the middle of the boat. Going to epoxy some earth magnets to it and the box.

duke couldn’t be bothered to move while I took some pics. 

6362BD96-CE40-4E4C-8D5D-7B82A9B81863.jpeg

685DD910-1141-4447-A2BA-8E0C6839A4F3.jpeg

57849230-871F-4EF1-916E-CC297C158EA3.jpeg

1C690C90-1B63-48AA-BFFC-C8359FA8A180.jpeg

When I did mine I glued 4 layers of maple together and pressed them together like a skateboard to get that nice concave.  Wet fish tend to slide around especially on the WCZ travel board. Nice to get that little bit of cradle on them.