Need help.

Jdcampbell

So, I’ve got a few swimbait rods. I’m asking what rod would you use for a 8/0-10/0 (1/2-3/4oz) beast hooked bait. My total lure weight would be from 2-1/4oz-3oz. Here’s what I got for selection.

-iRod jr. swim

-Dobyns 796

-Dobyns 806

-Dobyns 867

-Miller rods DreamFreak 710XH (8” hudd rod)

thanks for the advice SU.

I wouldn’t go with the 806. If you want the longer rod and the backbone to drive a beast home, go with the 807. I have the 806 and don’t throw jighooked or beast rigged baits on it. I would think the 796 would be ideal, but I don’t own that rod so I can’t speak to that. @Mossypumpkinprobably knows which Dobyns is your best bet. 

Either the 796 or 867. Personally tho I throw all weedless baits on the 807. Takes some punch to bury that big hook into the roof of a mouth. The nice thing about the 807 is it’s soft enough on the top to cast a hudd 68 and has plenty of sensitivity still. 

Dang. Well if I can’t afford the 807 right now, do you guys think the 867 would be ok? Would be braid to leader. And I’m not picky on the rod length. What’s right is right. Btw, the Miller rods 710XH Is a pretty stout rid. However, the tip is relatively stout as well. not sure if that would be a problem... I tend to drop the tip a little and real in the slack before the hook set to let the fish eat the bait anyways. Maybe I could offset the minor lack of tip with running straight flouro..?

Putting maybe a couple lbs of pressure. This is the Miller Rods 710XH. Stouter than the 867. So maybe if the 867 is on the light side this would be OK? The rod’s DEFINITELY got enough power, just more concerned about the tip...

id probably fish the xh miller i have never used one but the 867 has enough power as long as you reel up every ounce of slack then sweep set to the side to get through all the tip in that rod its not ideal for most guys but theres plenty of guys out there that use moderate rods gilbert fishes his glides and battle shads on one rod and its a very moderate rod as well honestly id try both and see what fits your style

2 hours ago, Mml420 said:

id probably fish the xh miller i have never used one but the 867 has enough power as long as you reel up every ounce of slack then sweep set to the side to get through all the tip in that rod its not ideal for most guys but theres plenty of guys out there that use moderate rods gilbert fishes his glides and battle shads on one rod and its a very moderate rod as well honestly id try both and see what fits your style

Yeah, will definitely try both. Unfortunately, there’s no right answer when we ask these questions, even though we hope to find it, lol.

6 hours ago, t_huff99 said:

I personally feel the tip is to soft on the MillerRods for soft baits. I only use it as glide/wake rod

Jeepers! I’m almost certain we got a different Miller rods. This thing is stout as all get out. I’d feel comfortable fighting a bear with this rod, lol.