Needing some input about specs on rod

NavyDoc11

So I just bought my first swimbait rod Dobyns Champ 806 mostly because it was on sale.  It says it's a fast action and rated 2-8oz. Is this rating accurate or what is the sweet spot as far as bait weight?  I was looking for a rod that can throw both treble and jig hook baits, I know it's not perfect for throwing both but what do most of yall throw on it trebels or jig hooks.  Thanks for the info

General rule is all rods are “overrated” you won’t break the rod but you will wear yourself out. They’ll usually comfortable throw half of the max rating. In your case 4 oz. I have not casted that specific rod but I’ll bet once you hit 5+ Oz it starts to feel strenuous. This applies to a vast majority of rods on the market. Not all…but most.

Dobyns are personally my favorite  swimbait rod. Ik @Mossypumpkinwill agree. They are VERY generous with their rating. I agree with @brootalititties in saying that the max is around that 4oz range.
I have a Fury 806 (2-8oz rating ) but anything over 3oz feels like it’s gonna break. The sweet spot for me is 1oz-3oz. Also the Bull Shad X Dobyns Collab the 836 (2-8oz) but I found it to be comfortable in that 3oz-6oz maybe 6.5oz for a Deps 250, but that the max. Hope this helps!! 

Ya These guys nailed it. The champ 806 is far from a fast action. It’s really a hard bait rod and is very comfortable at 2-4oz and maxes at 5oz really. I would never toss more than that on it. It’s a pretty parabolic rod, so you’re gonna want to stick to hard baits really. If need be, you could toss some top hook or exposed hook line thrus with it, especially if you fish braid with leader. I fish mono so soft baits are strictly a no-no for me. Baits I love on it include the Swaver 200, bullshad wake, 6” freestyles, Phoney crank, 7” slammer, bullshad glides, etc. Anything at all from wakes, cranks, to swimmers in that weight range. 

I agree with the rest. Very parabolic rod, great for treble baits (glides, swimmers, wakes, line throughs...). It’s actually in close 2nd to one of my favorite rods (796). As far as rating, It shines in the 2-4oz baits. Gan craft 230 was probably the biggest I consistently threw on it and was perfectly comfortable. However, the Baitsanity Explorer was definitely a little much at 5oz. 
—my current Dobyns collection consists of 795, 796, 806 and the 867. Next will probably be the 807.

if I had to do it all over again to cover most scenarios. It would be this.

—796 SBMT (2-4.5oz hard baits/top water. 5-7” weedless baits with 8-10/0 beast hooks)

—807 (7”+ soft baits or fishing 5”+ baits deep, 8” hudds)

—867 (4.5-7oz glides, Deps, Baitsanity, etc)

sorry for the tangent, lol. If I could only have one, it would definitely be the 867. Very parabolic but has the power and length for jig hook baits once you get through all the tip.

On 12/23/2021 at 5:14 PM, Mossypumpkin said:

Ya These guys nailed it. The champ 806 is far from a fast action. It’s really a hard bait rod and is very comfortable at 2-4oz and maxes at 5oz really. I would never toss more than that on it. It’s a pretty parabolic rod, so you’re gonna want to stick to hard baits really. If need be, you could toss some top hook or exposed hook line thrus with it, especially if you fish braid with leader. I fish mono so soft baits are strictly a no-no for me. Baits I love on it include the Swaver 200, bullshad wake, 6” freestyles, Phoney crank, 7” slammer, bullshad glides, etc. Anything at all from wakes, cranks, to swimmers in that weight range. 

@Mossypumpkin as the 806 being my first rod I'm throwing 65-80braid to a 20-30lb sunlight FC shock leader or 30lb mono.  So than what rod would u recommend for throw 8" hudds and heavier baits.  Is would the omega xh work or would I want the xxh for that?  I really only know about dobyns rod, leviathan, lose, and f5.. and rod recommendations would be great. 

4 hours ago, NavyDoc11 said:

@Mossypumpkin as the 806 being my first rod I'm throwing 65-80braid to a 20-30lb sunlight FC shock leader or 30lb mono.  So than what rod would u recommend for throw 8" hudds and heavier baits.  Is would the omega xh work or would I want the xxh for that?  I really only know about dobyns rod, leviathan, lose, and f5.. and rod recommendations would be great. 

I only know the Dobyns as well. If you want a soft bait rod for 8” hudds and up, go with the 867 or 836. Either will be plenty for hooksets with braid and double very well for big hard baits too. They both handle up to about 8oz

51 minutes ago, Mossypumpkin said:

I only know the Dobyns as well. If you want a soft bait rod for 8” hudds and up, go with the 867 or 836. Either will be plenty for hooksets with braid and double very well for big hard baits too. They both handle up to about 8oz

I'm a pretty small dude. 8 ft is my limit for rods. Anyone recommend anything else to throw those hudds? Thank @Mossypumpkin for all your input