Day After Christmas Swimbait Sesh

whompuscat658

Went to a local spot…threw an s waver 200 for a while. Had one fish come off and then missed a couple hits. Lost the lure and tied on a six inch Magdraft. Had a couple missed strikes and then got this baddie. She was thick!

93DDDF1F-03F5-4405-8B78-65BCC11A1C65.png

70742047-57D6-43AB-A0C6-8D1F70CB49A1.png

Edited by whompuscat658

The lake I’m fishing was almost completely frozen over earlier this week….Because of the water temps, my retrieves are super slow right now…for the most part. This means that the tail is not moving on soft plastics like the Magdraft….and glidebaits like the s waver don’t do much gliding. They just crawl along in a straight line….not having enough speed or energy to break right or left.  But that’s okay. That’s what the fish want in these conditions. As the water warms up, my retrieve will increase in speed. This is just a generalization, however. 

9 hours ago, whompuscat658 said:

The lake I’m fishing was almost completely frozen over earlier this week….Because of the water temps, my retrieves are super slow right now…for the most part. This means that the tail is not moving on soft plastics like the Magdraft….and glidebaits like the s waver don’t do much gliding. They just crawl along in a straight line….not having enough speed or energy to break right or left.  But that’s okay. That’s what the fish want in these conditions. As the water warms up, my retrieve will increase in speed. This is just a generalization, however. 

Interesting - I was using a moderate retrieve speed when I picked up my decent ‘eye last week. In the past I’ve used what is essentially a jerkbait type retrieve, with 3-5 s pauses in between steady mid-speed reeling.

4 hours ago, FishDr said:

Interesting - I was using a moderate retrieve speed when I picked up my decent ‘eye last week. In the past I’ve used what is essentially a jerkbait type retrieve, with 3-5 s pauses in between steady mid-speed reeling.

I’ve gotten eyes with pretty fast retrieves in cold water. And I’ll try speeding up from time to time…even now. But a super slow straight retrieve is what’s getting it done for me right now. I remember fishing horsetooth one night with jerkbaits and stuff and not getting anything all night. Then I threw on the small s waver and brought it in super slow. I got a few nice fish and then realized I was reeling so slow that my lure wasn’t moving at all. And I felt like maybe that’s why I got bit. A Big profile scooting by is enough to warrant some interest….even with zero lateral movement or tail kicking/body undulation. 

Come to think of it, the s waver actually does have a little bit of action…even at the super slow speeds. But the storm Arashi glidebait, however, does not. It’s a little more stiff and requires higher speeds to get moving.

Edited by whompuscat658