Curado drag complaints

BullyBee

Anyone using f the curado k 300? If so do you have any issues with the drag? I need a 300 sized reel for a lighter swimbait rod and like the price of the curado. However I read the drag has issues. 

No one ever elaborates. Does the drag jerk when engaged? Is it not smooth? Is it an issue with adjustability? 

When I use my curado it’s for frog fishing. (I know it’s not Swimbait fishing but I still hammer the hook set with frogs). I have had no problems with the drag slipping but I also have the drag locked down and using #65 braid. Hope this helps.

Carbontex is a must if you want the drag to be smooth in the curado/tranx reels and they need to be lubed with cal's.

The majority of people lock the drag down and never have a fish pull drag, in this situation the stock washers are fine.

If you use stock size carbontex washers you will lose about 15% of max drag with the washers lubed (14-15lb max) but they will be buttery smooth.

If you order the full size drag washers, you will gain about 15%, even with them lubed (max 22-24lbs) and the will still be fairly smooth. According to shimano, this is enough drag to damage the internals of the reel, especially on the hg gears.

This being said, the stock washers have a very jerky, inconsistent drag. When I tested mine I was seeing spikes of 26-28lbs, dropping to 14-16lbs after the drag started slipping.

Smooth drag is the company I get my washers from. Each gear ratio has slightly different washer sizes. Smooth drag has a chart with what they offer. You can see the surface area increase with the full size washers I replaced them with.

The higher the gear ratio, the less full size washers the reel has. This is to protect the gears from damage. The hg reels have a lower max drag than the low gear versions. I would recommend using the same size that comes in your reel and losing a little max drag.

IMG_20210612_142601886.jpg

Edited by rwp