Review: TranX 301 5.8:1

CEOBBS

So would most you guys put it at a 8/10? Should I hold off?

Can anyone speak to how much torque it has fighting fish vs. shimano round reels? My 6.1 curado 300's don't have the torque I like but I'm very on the fence about getting a Tranx.

Just got the 5.8 and fished it in the salt this weekend.

So far it is definitely a step up from the Curado 300 and is comparable to the Lexa 300hd. I don't think there is going to be anything better in the price range or quality so I would not hold off. 

Between the drag and 5.8:1 it didn't feel like it was missing torque. The 5 did have more drag than the 7 and typically the slower reels will have more torque so that's the direction I would go.

I've gone out a couple times now with it and caught one good fish and a few under 3 lbs. The drag is great, and it feels really smooth. I actually love this reel. It's my favorite reel in the price range for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

So far Great reel 9/10 for performance! Please do yourself a favor and PUT A FEW BRAKES ON!

1st cast I backlashed very badly...My a 9in HPH sunk to the bottom as I was picking out the Backlash...when I went to reel the bait in the line must of had a knick in it cuz it broke and the bait is gone forever(had to be a HPH)

I Set 3 Brakes and it's been $$$ ever since!

I have it paired on an older 8'6" LDC XH and 20# Segar Invisex...Mainly Throwing 8 & 10in Triple Trouts and Deps 250's... It seems to be handling the baits and Fish just fine. I have landed bass up to 7# with a 8in TT... But as far as touque goes I'm still undecided...I have a fish in the DD class hit my 10in TT and I couldn't turn the fish and it threw the bait...but honestly it was probably operator error.

I have 2 in the 5.8 Ratio...only using 1...thinking I should trade (1)for the faster ratio since I throw the TT a lot and may want to move it faster...then I would lose torque...gain speed and lose Torque

Still highly recommend it...I'llreport back in 6mo...if anyone can break it I will!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Ok so I just got my 1st Tranx back from Shimano for being noisy under a load... I feel I abused it quite a bit! This was my 1st tranx from the 1st week they hit the states(I would say I have fished it hard for about 6 months). I mostly fished a 10in TT trout on it so I would assume this would be a good test considering its a heavy/High resistance bait. I have fully submerged the reel when it fell in the lake as well as slammed it on a boulder when I fell night fishing.

Shimano warranted the reel...They replaced all the Spool bearings (they were fine) but they also replaced the Brakes and Brake plate. It's quiet now...

I Still don't have anything negative to say about the reel...it's a tank! I'm just hard on my stuff...I have since bought 2 more tranx with zero issues... I'll report back if with anything else worth mentioning...

• 2 months later...

Distance casting and backlash prevention how would you rate the Tranx 301 against the Lexa 300? I use the Lexa with the Magforce set as low as 3 to cast everything in the box from Phatlab 2 oz. baits to SS 250s. And the Daiwa Z Black for smaller soft swimbaits (6 to 8"). But I never used a reel with centrifugal brakes (SVS) for big baits so far. Would like to get a Tranx 301 for baits in the 10" - 12" range.

• 9 months later...