Glide bait line

Bassmann86

what size reel are you using that on? and what brand line. I'd just like to know because im building a 250 setup and ive heard many different opinions but I think going lighter line is better.

Most of the time, I am throwing my 250s on a Kago 300 with #20 P-F Original (co-poly). I have used my Tatula Mago for them a few times, with #20 Sniper.

This. I don't understand why people are using heavy line on small baits. For glides in that size range, I use #16 Sniper FC.

I was curious on the whole "line diameter is greater than pound rating" idea so I put it to the test yesterday. Using a few different knots, 20lb cxx pline was breaking at 16.3lbs with one particular knot but held to nearly 24lbs with two palomar knots. Looks like I'll be changing my preferred knot! lol Reasons for using heavy line on smaller glides vary but for me, it saves me time and gives me confidence that I won't be losing any baits. It's not uncommon to hook into tules and logs and the occasional giant striper. Those North East guys probably have to deal with toothy critters pretty often. I know I'd be throwing heavy mono if I had fish with teeth swimming in my waters!

20-25 pound mono is my preference. I'll go to fluoro if I want to fish my glide baits a little deeper (really cold or hot water). I was a braid to mono leader guy for awhile and it was a good system just not necessary in my opinion. I don't have any issues with mono, easy to manage and dirt cheap.