Flying with swimbaits

Batallas22

Hey guys I leave for Arizona this Wednesday and I wanna make sure my swimbaits aren't gunna get confiscated at the check in if I have them in my carry on luggage. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

This is off the TSA sight:  "Sharp fishing tackle that may be considered dangerous, such as large fish hooks, should be sheathed, securely wrapped, and packed in your checked luggage. Like other high-value objects, you may wish to pack expensive reels or fragile tackle that does not pose a security threat (small flies) in your carry-on baggage."

​That being said, I have flown 3 times with Deps, BAA, 3:16 RS, 3:16 FS, and a RM Neg. in my carry-on without issue.

Domestic flights are a crap shoot for me. I have flown domestically and had no problems with baits in my carry-on luggage, and I have also had to remove all the hooks before being allowed to go through security screenings. International flights you must put hooked baits in your checked bags. I was just in Mexico last week for my trip to El Salto, and I even had to remove all the line from my reels on my return trip, though it was fine leaving the USA.

Rods and hooks get packed in a tube - I use a PVC pipe with one end welded shut. The other end gets a screw cap tightened to the max w a wrench. I do that so that it'll be too difficult for a TSA agent to open up.

Baits - hooks removed - and reels travel in my carry on.

I just flew from Dallas to Phoenix then connected from Phoenix to Spokane. I checked my lures and both ways I had an inspection sticker on my bag when I picked it up at baggage claim. They definetely looked at them and pulled them out. ish my deps wasn't even in the same spot in my box. If you can check them, I'd check them.

Hence tightening the cap on a PVC tube to the max. Had one trip where it looked as tho someone pulled my rods out, took off all the bubble wrap to look at the rods, quick wrapped them up, then shoved them back in without a care.

Best way is to carry on every piece of fishing equipment. Or make sure TSA can't get to it.

I've always checked mine after an incident where I had a hook -shaped billfold get me stopped. They wouldn't let me carry it on, so I had to check it. I do take a picture of the baits in my checked bag in case something goes missing. So far no problems on around 10 trips including 2 international.