Favorite casting resin

Process77

What is you favorite resin for casting baits? I have used a couple different Alumilite resins with pretty similar results. I new to bait casting but the the only real variable I have noticed is the cure time to micro ballon distribution. In other words the longer the cure time the more the balloons rise to the top of the mold, not to much of an issue as long as the molds are created with the bait upright.

Curious what you guys have experienced? What brands and cure times do you prefer?

• I have worked with Amazing deep pour, which has a bonkers cure time of 48/hrs.
  • Amazing clear cast which seams pretty solid. 24/hr cure.
  • I have used amazing cast resin 10/min for things other than baits. Curious if this is too quick for the thickness of micro balloon application?
  • Anyone mess with Ultra-lite 400 expanding foam?

As for silicone, smooth-on seems to be the best value to performance so far. 

You seem to have more experience with different materials than me, but I use Alumilite Slow Set 7 with pretty good results. They used to offer a Slow Set 15 (15min working time) which was really nice trying to evacuate as much air as possible before it set…but alas that option has been discontinued. With the 7 just take your time mixing the microballoons into one side first before adding the other. Bubbles are always a pain short of putting the resin in vacuum, so speed of mixing and proper venting of your mold are important factors to consider.

I’ve also heard good things about Smoothon resin but never got around to trying it. Good luck and happy building!

I use smooth on smooth cast 300. It seems to work fine for what I do. You got about 3 minutes to mix and pour and hardens in 10. I just try to pour it with as thin of a stream as possible to keep out the pinholes and bubbles and make sure you have good vent holes. 

I am nowhere near any of the guys on here with resin stuff, but the alumilite white is easy to use and I haven’t had any bubbling in the few I’ve poured.

I had to adjust slightly  after I added lead to the mold , rather than add it later. More steps adding lead later so trying to perfect that step is critical for me.

clean cups and well stirred micro balloons split between a and b seems to be the ticket for no issues. Also no real cold weather issues like some people have I’m in Az.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the easiest way to explain it.  Alumilites good, smooth on is better. 

Alumilite is less dense and more airy
Alumilite requires a timed pour to not effect the distribution of microballoons. 
Due to Alumilite being more airy and less dense, its much harder to sand to a smooth surface
Alumilite accepts less microballoons before structural failure
Alumilite does not flow as easy due to it's "Airy" nature, some shapes require more venting.  It preforms OK with venting, but smooth on preforms much better.
Alumilite is more expensive

On 3/5/2022 at 4:23 AM, SacPig916 said:

Here is the easiest way to explain it.  Alumilites good, smooth on is better. 

Alumilite is less dense and more airy
Alumilite requires a timed pour to not effect the distribution of microballoons. 
Due to Alumilite being more airy and less dense, its much harder to sand to a smooth surface
Alumilite accepts less microballoons before structural failure
Alumilite does not flow as easy due to it's "Airy" nature, some shapes require more venting.  It preforms OK with venting, but smooth on preforms much better.
Alumilite is more expensive

Thanks for the detailed info @SacPig916.. 

On a side note, in your baits builds use swivel hook hangers. If your will to share how are you attaching those without gumming them up, and what is that bad ass housing they are placed in?