10” MagDraft bottom contact rigging

Chazzy

I have been experimenting with rigging on Magdrafts, mainly just downsizing the terminal tackle. A lot of my lakes have deep uphill points and the normal Magdraft catches small stick ups or muck clumps on the bottom hook. I am developing this as a solution: image.thumb.jpg.c134ce758c232247a0240e588f97872a.jpg

Drawing inspiration from the BB-rig by attaching steel wire to the forward eyelet and the hook eye. But instead of crimping I opted for a hay-wire twist. Might even call it a piggy back rigging? I am still working out the details.Possibly going to use a split ring to the double hook, or split ring+solid ring. Also thinking about going with a white colored braid harness rigging.image.thumb.jpg.3ef1794b1248d56396c91b8a798cacc2.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.b991b094b1eb963ad35b93cb50714874.jpg

I have used the weedless mods, but I think this rigging could provide a happy medium in between exposed belly hook and beast hook mods. I also think this opens up deep water possibilities, with the belly hook removed you could easily add grenade weights to the empty belly eyelet. You could also use the now empty hook cavity as a scent chamber. Going to keep the thread updated with my progress toward the best possible rigging. Not sure if this has been discussed on the forum before, but if there is another thread please link it.

12 hours ago, chevro1et said:

Is it standard practice to have the loops when using the haywire twist? I always start the twist down tight as possible. 

i also try to make the loop as small as possible, i was just getting this down as prototyping and i wanted to hear everyone's thoughts.

12 hours ago, David Cindrich said:

Chazzy, have you swam this rig yet? It will be interesting to hear how it swims with all the weight now on top. 

i am waiting for an opening to test it, i am planning to combat any swim problems by attaching tungsten grenade weights to the empty belly hook eyelet. i really want to maintain the body roll and by lowering a weight it should help with the intentional destabilization. i plan to make many changes to the actual rigging, i just wanted to hear suggestions and share ideas.

4 hours ago, Jinxd12 said:

The ends of the hay wire twists should point towards the tail of the bait. If the face forward you are adding 2 spots for snags of anything that they grab, just my .02

I fully agree with you, this was just some rough drafting i cooked up quickly. i will update thread with cleaner rigging and changes.

i am planning to leave a slight loop for the Twin hook, as the main feature of it is the ability for the eyes to move independently. also looking at the possibility of using screwlock(s) to hold down the hook, more consistent and less visible than a paper clip. will update thread later this evening.