Striper Kicked My Butt

SumoNinja

So I thoroughly got my a$$ handed to me yesterday. This video is just one example of a string of bad luck this day. I had my mattlures 13" deadtwitch in the water about 10 yards out in front of me. Saw a blowup on my left so I put down my rod with the deadtwitch still in the water and made a cast with my finnbait customs big grandpa. During the retrieve the deadtwitch gets smashed while it's just dead sticking there. U can see the blowup on the right of the screen. I had this fish pinned up until about 3 ft away, it gator rolled on me and spit the bait

Only other way it could've been worse is if it gill plated my line and swam off with my bait. The gator roll had my line fouled up on the hooks too so that could've been bad news. 

20220403_000620.jpg

279437.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 1:45 PM, SumoNinja said:

So I thoroughly got my a$$ handed to me yesterday. This video is just one example of a string of bad luck this day. I had my mattlures 13" deadtwitch in the water about 10 yards out in front of me. Saw a blowup on my left so I put down my rod with the deadtwitch still in the water and made a cast with my finnbait customs big grandpa. During the retrieve the deadtwitch gets smashed while it's just dead sticking there. U can see the blowup on the right of the screen. I had this fish pinned up until about 3 ft away, it gator rolled on me and spit the bait

Only other way it could've been worse is if it gill plated my line and swam off with my bait. The gator roll had my line fouled up on the hooks too so that could've been bad news. 

20220403_000620.jpg

279437.jpeg

It never stops hurting, had this happen with largemouth before too. If I were you I'd quit pumping that rod like it was saltwater, you'll rip holes in their mouths or lose pressure. Just set the hook put the rod down, keep a bend, and grind relentlessly. 

1 minute ago, Morgan Y said:

It never stops hurting, had this happen with largemouth before too. If I were you I'd quit pumping that rod like it was saltwater, you'll rip holes in their mouths or lose pressure. Just set the hook put the rod down, keep a bend, and grind relentlessly. 

Yea I'm still on a learning curve. Since I got my gopro I've seen a lot of habits I didn't notice otherwise. 

2 minutes ago, SumoNinja said:

Yea I'm still on a learning curve. Since I got my gopro I've seen a lot of habits I didn't notice otherwise. 

What I have learned from those much better than me is that keeping your rod loaded as deeply as you can and winching to the point that you're trying to break your reel is what is most important, also don't play with the fish at the bank and either flip them or net them right away, don't do the thing that the pros do where they're running in circles around the boat.

• 2 months later...
19 minutes ago, AzjoefishSb said:

That was so sick to watch ! Don’t see much dead twitch footage

Initially this footage was painful to watch because it would just bum me out. But after all this time I've gotten over it and now when I see it, it's pretty rad I got it on video. I'm very thankful I'll always have this to look back at.