Swimbait Underground Bait Share - Traveling Slammer

SU Crew

The Slammer has landed in California! Took it out to Dixon today, fished from about 11-5 with no love. Did get some quality fish to follow it while slow waking over grass, going to check back on those spots in a couple days before I ship her out to the next member.

post-23881-0-41049000-1475635244_thumb.jpeg

Celebrate Wayne and get yourself a thick rubber net to hold these pretty girls between pics.

InFisherman Magazine cited a scientific study on net types a few years back.  Rubber mesh  made a significant difference in mortality with pike, musky & trout.  There was ZERO difference in mortality in bass regardless of whether you use a smooth rubber mesh or a coarse knotted mesh.

Bass have really tough skin/scales compared to a lot of fish.  Anglers seem to do the most damage by gripping the jaw improperly, gut-hooking, and keeping them out of the water too long.

InFisherman Magazine cited a scientific study on net types a few years back.  Rubber mesh  made a significant difference in mortality with pike, musky & trout.  There was ZERO difference in mortality in bass regardless of whether you use a smooth rubber mesh or a coarse knotted mesh.

Bass have really tough skin/scales compared to a lot of fish.  Anglers seem to do the most damage by gripping the jaw improperly, gut-hooking, and keeping them out of the water too long.

Bass have alot of slime too, I bet that study involved rubber coating rather than thick rubber.  The rubber coating simply helps to avoid hooks tangling but does nothing for preserving the slime....I have poked many fish eyeballs out using your net when I owned one about 20 years ago. Those thrashers still haunt me. Just saying.  It also can't hold fish between pics....I agree with you tho getting fish back into the water quickly and safe handling is probably the best thing you can do in any instance....Again congrats on the epic bite you found.   

Bass have alot of slime too, I bet that study involved rubber coating rather than thick rubber.  The rubber coating simply helps to avoid hooks tangling but does nothing for preserving the slime....I have poked many fish eyeballs out using your net when I owned one about 20 years ago. Those thrashers still haunt me. Just saying.  It also can't hold fish between pics....I agree with you tho getting fish back into the water quickly and safe handling is probably the best thing you can do in any instance....Again congrats on the epic bite you found.   

The study did cover full rubber mesh, rubber coated mesh, and knotted nylon uncoated mesh.  No difference in any of these for BASS mortality.  

The were differences when it came to trout and musky which have more delicate skin/scales.

I've probably netted a thousand bass (which I guess means I'm old)- never poked an eyeball out yet. I've owned all three types and never saw a difference in how much they thrash.   Whatever you're comfortable with.

The study did cover full rubber mesh, rubber coated mesh, and knotted nylon uncoated mesh.  No difference in any of these for BASS mortality.  

The were differences when it came to trout and musky which have more delicate skin/scales.

I've probably netted a thousand bass (which I guess means I'm old)- never poked an eyeball out yet. I've owned all three types and never saw a difference in how much they thrash.   Whatever you're comfortable with.

Right on.  Still a bigger net allows you to have a makeshift pen to hold the fish in the water between pics.  It gives you more time to play around so to speak.