Crazy Swimbait Weekend (Maine)

ctbrahan

On Thursday I found out that my classes were canceled for earth day (Perks of being an environmental science student) so I decided I wanted to fish some new spots and challenge myself physically. Being a broke college student with no car and a passion for big bass I decided the best thing I could do would be to go on a multi-day swimbait fishing mission using my bike to get around. Yesterday at 10:00 am, I embarked on a 50 mile 2 day bike ride with a 45 pound backpacking pack with all of the water, food, sleeping equipments, (basically everything needed for camping) with my two swimbait sticks a heavy action Gloomis GCX Heavy 7'6" FPR with 65 pound braid for soft swimbaits and a Expride XH 7'6 XH with 20 lb mono for hard baits. Started off on lake X fishing a wind blown point on a rocky beach and landed three largemouth, a 2-1, a 2-5 and a 3-7 on the megabass magdraft 6 inch. I proceeded to then catch my first smallmouth of the year which put up a fun aerial display and a fun fight. Absolutely choked the magdraft too. Hit several more spots and didn't get another bite. Ran into a nice hailstorm on mile 22 on my bike which was quite fun. Got to my campsite on lake Z at 4:00PM and set up my hammock and proceeded to catch 5 quality largemouth on the magdraft all 2-3 pounders (one hit missed it 5 feet away from me on the bank, I flipped it in there again and saw the three pounder fish hit it right from the bank). I recognized that I was catching too many (never thought I would say this while swimbaiting) smedium fish on the magdraft and grabbed my expride with the 8 inch line through perch. Second cast got a hard hit off a rocky point set the hook and landed a 4-12 which was my biggest fish ever on a swimbait (until today). I was amazed at how a bait that big fit so easily in a 4's mouth. Next cast had another hard hit off the point and proceeded to land a 2-14 on the 8 inch perch. The fish absolutely swallowed the bait that was half as long as it was. Finished the day off with and even smaller 1.5 pounder on the savage gear perch. The fish was not even 14 inches long. I guess I now have the confidence to throw 10 inch baits.

Woke up this at 5:00 am to find below freezing temps (29 degrees f). As cold as I was I climbed out of my hammock, put on my waders, and headed off fishing. I started the first hour with parallel casts to the bank along my spots on lake z but could not get any fish to commit and had to deal with my line, reel, and rod building icicles. I moved 1/4 mile down the bank to a brushier harder to fish spot and was rewarded with several two pounders offshore. Moved again and felt a slight tick, set the hook, and landed a new PB largemouth, 6 pounds 5 ounces. Wish I could've entered itto the SUB tournament but I did not have a measuring boards with me, oh well. The fish did not fight too hard but was probably as cold as I was. Caught another several 3s and a 4-0 to end the day. and proceeded to bike back to campus to where I am now sitting exhausted at my desk. I am quite happy with how I did this weekend catching 23 fish total with 20 of those being over 2, 10 over 3, and 3 over 4. It was a long 50 miles on my bike, and I lost my favorite hard glidebait, but it was worth it in the end. Thanks to all who got to this point in this post. 

IMG_5972.JPG

IMG_5967.JPG

IMG_5990.JPG

IMG_5999.JPG

IMG_6004.JPG

IMG_6006.JPG

IMG_6008.JPG

IMG_6012.JPG

IMG_6015.JPG

IMG_6017.JPG

IMG_6022.JPG

IMG_6030.JPG