Questions about NFC swimbait blanks

Ravelthus

Is the SWB807 a true fast action or a mod-fast? What's the sweet spot on the BB809? Is it 4-6 ounces? 

I've been using this website called 'Rodhouse', a French custom rod website, and they have a rod comparator that shows all the NFC blanks. The SWB807, labeled fast, and the SWB808, labeled mod-fast, bend the exact same way, only difference being the SWB808 is more powerful, of course. Can anyone confirm?  Trying to decide between these two blanks. I don't want a full parabolic rod, want a true mod-fast so it's versatile like a LDC. 

I can't speak much about the other blanks, but I have been fishing the BB809 and I like it. Sweet spot would probably be around 4 ounces, but I have been launching the Deps 250 without issue. It handles the lower end well too. Pretty versatile blank in my opinion. 

I would say that the NFC are more on the parabolic side, with that said I would probably stay away from them although, they are amazing blanks I waited 6 months for mines. The worst I've waited was 1 year. I would say that NFC rating are pretty spot on, terrible wait time.   

15 hours ago, Ravelthus said:

Is the SWB807 a true fast action or a mod-fast? What's the sweet spot on the BB809? Is it 4-6 ounces? 

I've been using this website called 'Rodhouse', a French custom rod website, and they have a rod comparator that shows all the NFC blanks. The SWB807, labeled fast, and the SWB808, labeled mod-fast, bend the exact same way, only difference being the SWB808 is more powerful, of course. Can anyone confirm?  Trying to decide between these two blanks. I don't want a full parabolic rod, want a true mod-fast so it's versatile like a LDC. 

I haven’t had a chance to wrap my 807 yet but I do have that, the  808 and 809 lmx (different from the IM, the lmx is a beast of a rod).  If you can wait a couple days I can throw them both on a deflection board for comparison.  I just gave them both a pull, first thoughts are actions are both kinda similar, more mod-fast than fast.  Phenix Black Diamond blanks (psw800 series) may be more in line with what you’re looking for.

FWIW, I’ve probably got about a half dozen orders in with NFC, about 15ish blanks in total. Shipping windows have been anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months…..lately more on the quicker side.  I’ve noticed more of a delay when I order during sales, understandable with the volume purchasing going on.  IAs a rule I dont anticipate having them immediately but I’m always satisfied with the service and blanks.

You know, I had always thought the BB809 was much more parabolic than the SWB807 and 808, and now looking at the deflection charts from NFC they're more similar than I thought.  The SWB807 and 808 are a bit more tip-biased in their flex (aka faster action) but it's not a night and day difference.

From practical experience with my SWB808, it fishes on the faster side of mod-fast to me until you really lean into it and the midsection starts to bend.  The 807 appears similar from the deflection charts, but with a more reasonable amount of power.  Great for jig hooks, and the midsection bends enough that you won't blow out trebles.

This is going to be a long post, unless you're a tackle junkie, this is a pretty useless read so be forewarned. Rod deflection charts off of Rodhouse comparing the SWB808 and 807 along with the BB809. First weight is 200 grams, second is 1,000 grams. The SWB rods look mod-fast, BB is clearly a moderate. Blue = SWB808, Red = SWB807, Green = BB809.

1449175096_ScreenShot2022-05-04at6_22_28PM.png.6cfc0962e331e4a1c761a6765f79df3d.png

Reason why I'm trying to figure out the differences between these 3 blanks is because I'm trying to get 2 custom rods built that mimic DRT's Artex R2 and Zero. I realize the Artex blanks are not NFC, but the Pulse one's are. So figuring out the Pulse blank can lead me to pinpointing the NFC equivalents to the R2 and Zero. There's next to no information on these blanks, no deflection charts, just little bit of info on DRT's blogspot, Jeff's video with KZ showcasing the Artex line-up, and a few Japanese websites you can find if your google-fu is good. 

A lot of people think the Pulse was made on a SWB807 or BB806 just modified slightly for the removable handle, I don't think this is the case, it had to be the BB809. The Leviathan XH Omega is made on the same blank, and I've read on SU and SBUG multiple times the sweetspot is 4-6. Watching DRT videos where they hookset with the Pulse, it loads all the way to the reel seat basically, pictured below: 

1455908113_ScreenShot2022-05-04at6_36_57PM.png.3e5f6debbccfd123818f3962121bf5ce.png

That looks precisely like a typical NFC BB moderate action. That's one confirmation, but what about the power of the Pulse? Rodhouse recommends the BB806 max rating to be 4 ounces. On DRT's blogspot, they describe the Pulse as "an intermediate power between the R2 and Zero" so it's a step above the R2 and below the Zero. Since the R2 maxes out at 5 ounces from DRT's description and the Zero at 7, the Pulse is 6 ounces more than likely. It's the BB809. 

Now figuring out the R2 and Zero's actions are pretty easy. Just watch their videos. Screenshot of the R2:

1901548496_ScreenShot2022-05-04at6_41_51PM.thumb.png.f7eea7579696b0c946d146dffd9b71ad.png

Clearly a mod-fast. So as long as I can confirm the SWB807 and SWB808 are mod-fast actions, I'm going to pull the trigger on them. Power wise, they seem to be exactly what I'm after. If anyone wants to correct anything I'm wrong on, please do. Custom swimbait rods are a pretty penny, I want to do as much research as possible before I throw my wallet at it lol. 

Edited by Ravelthus

Good write-up! I am also looking to have someone build me my first custom rod and was looking at the 807 specifically. It would be my version of a Dobyns 795/796 SB for topwater treble hook baits for the 2-5oz range.

Good analysis and I agree with your conclusion. The 808 is one of the baddest blanks I’ve used, it weighs so little but is immensely powerful. The light blank also makes balancing a breeze so if you’re careful with component choices you can end up with a sub-7oz finished build that floats in your hand. 

• 8 months later...

Idk if anyone is still interested in this topic but, I’ve since built 2 809’s specifically for the k9 and they handle it with ease. I’ve built an 807 for it too and did some testing for a bit before deciding ultimately on the 809. My reasons; the 807, although most fast, is pretty powerful. It can definitely handle more than the max rating that’s stated on NFC’s site. I’ve thrown baits up to 8 ounces on it with ease. I like it a lot for the k9 but it’s still a bit too fast for me. I pulled hooks or pulled the bait away from fish a couple times with it. I never ever had that issue with the 809. Not only that but having talked to a couple dudes who have oh they R2 and Pulse, they say there’s not a whole lot of difference in terms of the action and power. The R2 is definitely a tad bit faster but not by much at all. I also felt like I had more control over the bait with the 809 and could really work the bait with out it blowing out or being overworked. I had to be a bit more “gentle” with the 807. Regardless I don’t think you can go wrong with either. It’s ultimately going to come down to what you prefer and what feels right to you. 

I haven't read all the replies yet but as someone who owned both I can tell you the 807 is much much faster. I don't remember the ratings but it can definitely handle jig hook baits, it's that fast. I used to use mine with 16lb flouro for TKs and it was just too fast for my preference. 

The 809 I had built for full size hawghunter mags and it was much too parabolic for my personal liking. I thought it was going to be like the 807 actionwise, but instead it was totally different. It would have been a good K9 rod for me - treble baits in the 3-6oz range.

Again this is not scientific I'm just giving you my own personal reactions to them. Everyone says my taste in rods is whacked out, so take it with a grain of salt.

I want a TK rod to be more parabolic like the 73 remix for example. The 807 was not that.

16 hours ago, captainhookset said:

I haven't read all the replies yet but as someone who owned both I can tell you the 807 is much much faster. I don't remember the ratings but it can definitely handle jig hook baits, it's that fast. I used to use mine with 16lb flouro for TKs and it was just too fast for my preference. 

The 809 I had built for full size hawghunter mags and it was much too parabolic for my personal liking. I thought it was going to be like the 807 actionwise, but instead it was totally different. It would have been a good K9 rod for me - treble baits in the 3-6oz range.

Again this is not scientific I'm just giving you my own personal reactions to them. Everyone says my taste in rods is whacked out, so take it with a grain of salt.

I want a TK rod to be more parabolic like the 73 remix for example. The 807 was not that.

So I built a TK/Versatile Special rod on the NFC MB7109 XRay cut down to 7’7”. I wanted to model it off of the Artex Border Patrol/Hacker. It’s been pretty bad ass. It’s parabolic but has plenty of backbone to fight fish. Seriously, it’s the one for the TK, Shuttle, VTS, etc. 

I only have my SWB 808 coming in since to this day I'm still not sure if the SWB 807 is a good K9 rod. I don't mind at all you revived my old thread. When you guys are talking about the 809, you're talking about the back bounce model, correct? NFC offers, strangely, 3 different 809's.

• BB809: 2 - 8 Oz
  • SWB809: 5/8 - 10 Oz
  • SWB/MUXH809: 6 - 16 Oz

I came to the same conclusion on the 7109 X-ray being the Hacker equivalent. Was a toss up between that or the 7108, but after your post I'll lock that one in. 

The 807 will work for the K9, it will but after fishing both, yes the BB809 and 807 side by side, the 809 shines on every level for the “ultimate” K9 rod that isn’t a Pulse or R2. I have an 808 and it’s way to beastly for the K9. I didn’t like it for that bait at all. 

The 7109 XRay is the business for the TK.